Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, I have a 32 Special that has "Cxx71" stamped on the bottom just a few inches fore of the trigger. Can anyone tell me what this means? I can not find any serial numbers on this rifle. My Uncle used to love to hunt deer with this gun. I tried to post some pics but ...no luck. Do u need to know what the other 2 numbers are to help with my question? Thanks for your help.........Any further info on the rifle would be welcome...year etc.................................Cod

·
Registered
54 Posts
Current thinking would be around 1918 in the Marlin Rockwell era.Workers between war contracts
would assemble guns in there spare time.I have a rifle in the same time range and am trying
to come up with a little more information on this period of time.I would like to know the first
number of the serial no.and if it might have a bullseye in the stock,star on top tang and
whether the barrel is marked company or corporation. Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.... I've been reading alot of old posts trying to bone up a bit. This gun was inherited and when I grew up Dad didn't like rifles so I pretty much grew up with shotguns. I'll try and post some pics again even if they arent great as I realize that is what u guys need to evaluate. I can tell u that the serial number is C3171 and that it has a (saddle ring?) on its side. Also an elevated sight. Like I say I'll again try to post pics.......Thanks for your help. I hope u guys realize how important a site like this is and how appreciative us rookies are to those of u who help us out................Cod

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am a rokie to.Something you will figure out is that when it comes to Marlin serial numbers after 1905
as that is where the records end.1906 to 1915 you can estimate a guess.1916 to around 1920 also a guess but from 1921 to 1935 on the model 93's it is simply a crap shoot. thanks for the added info

·
Registered
290 Posts
There was some good threads over on the marlin-collector forum about these letter prefix serial numbers-I think the "C" prefix number was made around 1915, I have a 32 HPS with a "D" prefix serial # which would put my rifle 1916/17 or so. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, Reading the other posts I think that would be about right. I been trying like heck to post pics but no luck. It keeps telling me my files are to big even thou when I click on the properties of the pic I try to send it says its only 9.5kb (in one case) and it still wont send.
To answer some other ?s asked..... I see no bullseye on the stock...It says "Marlin Firearms Co..." just ahead of the elevated sight. 2 inches behind the hammer it is stamped "MODEL 1893" with small 'arrows' pointing away from each side of '1893'. It has a 20 inch barrel.
Any help to post pics would be appreciated. ???

·
Registered
271 Posts
something is not quite right here, that rifle has serial numbers under the front or the receiver also, i would say someone replaced the trigger plate with a newer one. codman whats the number on the receiver bottom? Don

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not great pics but were taken a whild back not knowing I'd be doing this...Ejection side is a bit pitted but the other side is nice. Must have layed in something damp for a while on that side, I'd guess. When I was in my teens I reblued an old favorite shotgun (single shot 20 ga) that I still have, and it turned out great. I've had this gun for about 8-9 yrs and only test shot it once or twice right after I got it. Should I get the stock redone? What to do with the pitting? .... Just keep it well oiled?? Probably to small a caliber to shoot a moose in my yard, huh? (Got my trusty '06 for that.)
DON..... Number on bottom is C3171. I think one of the pics has it but ask away. If I;m missing something. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
loggah said:
something is not quite right here, that rifle has serial numbers under the front or the receiver also, i would say someone replaced the trigger plate with a newer one. codman whats the number on the receiver bottom? Don
Isn't that where it should be Don?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I haven't noticed much for 'elevated' sights nor the (saddle?) ring on the sides of other rifles on this site. Are they something that was added? Are they a good thing? thanks.... Cod

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have never seen a serial number with a prefix there!! the few i have with a prefix are stamped on the bottom tang under the lever !!! not saying it aint right just never seen one there , the regular serial numbers up to around 450,00 are all up on that end of the receiver. Don

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
loggah said:
I have never seen a serial number with a prefix there!! the few i have with a prefix are stamped on the bottom tang under the lever !!! not saying it aint right just never seen one there , the regular serial numbers up to around 450,00 are all up on that end of the receiver. Don
Don, I have 2 1893 rifles with D prefix on the front of trigger plate, as KK stated I think the D is 1916- 1917
Clark

·
Registered
271 Posts
cod, Interesting ! ;D the ladder sight and saddle ring were the common fixtures on a saddle ring carbine . nice looking rifle you got me wondering on the serial number thing, i have some with no prefix ,s/n 1118 and 1122 and there both under the lever on the bottom tang. Don

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
loggah said:
cod, Interesting ! ;D the ladder sight and saddle ring were the common fixtures on a saddle ring carbine . nice looking rifle you got me wondering on the serial number thing, i have some with no prefix ,s/n 1118 and 1122 and there both under the lever on the bottom tang. Don
Don, with the ser# under lever they are later, after 1918, when renamed 93, all the carbines and rifles I have with the numbers under lever are 93s

Clark

·
Registered
271 Posts
That probably makes sense, when did the A prefix pop up ? 1915? i was under the impression the straight run serial numbers went up to 1917, don't remember where i got the info tho. ??? i do have model 92 and a couple model 97's with an A prefix and they are stamped on the receiver bottom. Don

1 - 20 of 24 Posts