Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a couple of Model 336RCs that i am interested in and i was wondering when they were made. maybe someone can help me out. the serial numbers are shown below.

J43983 (.30-30)
4856446 (.35 Remington)

thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Cowboykell,

Based on your serial number, I think it was manufactured in 1977 based on 100-23= 77 (which is 1977). I will send you a PM and give you the entire link info that covers the Marlin guns.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
After 1971 they didn't use prefix letters, but the 4856446 should have a prefix letter, if the number is correct.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I also believe it should have a letter if it's a 336RC. Probably a typo. SW

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
marlinman93 and NebrHogger: nope, no typo and no letter prefix. on the barrel it is stamped "336 R.C.", but no letter prefix on the serial number.

"EAGLE EYE 444" has an interesting method of detrmining the dates though. according to him, the date is determined by subtracting the "48" from 100 to get a mgf date of 1952.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Bill,
Marlin didn't start the "formula of subtraction" until 1973 model year and later.

Please look in the "REFERENCE MATERIAL FORUM" here on the Board and scroll down about 15 threads to the topic posted by HOGSHIP about "How to date a Marlin". It is informative for all of us.

Trust me, I am a total novice when it comes to supplying expert info as such but I did remember the original thread and that is why I copied it and sent it in a PM to Cowboykell. It really is good reference material but in your case, hopefully some of the real experts here can steer you in the right direction based on your serial number above.

"Hogger" , Marlinman93, and several others on this board have forgotten MORE than I will ever learn about Marlins. But it sure is fun trying to learn from their sharing of information.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I'm wondering if this serial number might be lightly marked, and doesn't show up well? If you remove the buttstock, the serial number is also on the left side of the upper tang. You can double check, to see if it matches the one on the bottom.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eagle Eye: that is just what i needed. thanks.

marlinman: hmmmmm, i did not look inside the tang. i'll do that and see what it says. thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
marlinman: imagine my surprise. the real serial number appears to begin with "AB", not "48". the serial number under the lever was worn down enough to obscure the first two numbers. thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Aha! AB = 1966. I wasn't trying to be smart - the serial number was just all wrong for the rifle. SW

1 - 14 of 14 Posts