Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Like some of you know, I am new to MO and leverguns. I just have few questions. I cleaned my brand new 336C today before I take it out tomorrow. The lever has a couple of dings and scratches already. The bolt seemed a bit rough, almost unfinished. Inside the breech also. Is this normal and nothing to worry about? I really like my new rifle and looked long and hard to find it. I have never heard anything bad about Marlin leverguns. Should I do anything about this? Any replies and answers would be much appreciated. Thanks

·
Administrator
23,807 Posts
Machine marks are normal. A ding or two here and there on the inside is also normal.

We generally take our leverguns apart, clean them as you have and do a once over with files, stones and other polishing media in hand.

Be sure to peruse our Reference Library for pointers on smoothing out your new levergun. Welcome Home.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
On a rainy Sunday afternoon, plug in Lonesome Dove, sit with your rifle and work the lever open and closed while you watch the movie. Allow for restroom and snack runs. By the time Gus makes it back to Texas, your action will be considerably smoother. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Longfin said:
On a rainy Sunday afternoon, plug in Lonesome Dove, sit with your rifle and work the lever open and closed while you watch the movie. Allow for restroom and snack runs. By the time Gus makes it back to Texas, your action will be considerably smoother. ;)
Thats funny. I should try it. My good buddy from Casper, Wyoming made me watch it back in 2002 while we were in the Marine Corps.

·
Super Moderator
16,520 Posts
I followed this thread by Eli Chaps: http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,58735.0.html
Did the job on the 45/70CB, she's a whole lot smoother than she was 45 minutes before I did it. I used a 1/2" x 3/4" x 3" steel block and 400 grit wet or dry for the flat stuff and very lightly across the edges, no pressure really used as the weight of the steel block worked in my favor, for the real tight places a miniature diamond file, just a stroke or two will do ya! Mr fixit

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
I read a lot of articles from knowledgeable people on this sight. I bought a 2" thick granite block from Grizzly, put 600 grit paper on it and smooth out all the flat surfaces. Helps immensely.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
T-Bone said:
If you are planning on taking a stone or file to your spanking new gun, just remember: It's a whole lot easier to take material off than to put it back on again!
amen to that!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the input! I'm really likin this Forum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts