Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it doable to lighten the spring tension (finger bite ) of mag. door and/or the spring in the magazine tube, mine seems over strong ? again feeding 44mags to the magazine seems a challenge, not to mention painful at stressful times . Im going thru my 1894 44 mag and doing some slick it up type things for CAS shooting , and I'm sure there is a design purpose for the strong tension on both these items , but curious, as something is putting scratch's in my brass so polishing each item and looking for improvements ...thanks Jerr

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
It will probably lose some tension over time, but for now try loading the first round about 3/4 of the way with your thumb and the rest of the way by pushing it with the second round until it is also about 3/4 of the way, etc, etc, etc. That is a lot easier on your thumb. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
17,047 Posts
Paco Kelly recommends taking your end cap off,and cutting the magazine spring 4 inches longer than the magazine tube. I tried it with complete success.

Rob

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Welcome aboard jerr. You can certainly remove a few coils from the mag spring and also thin down the loading gate to relieve tension there. There are instructions for doing both in the Gunsmithing section down the page.

Cheers,
Mark.

Reactions: rob42049

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
You're welcome Jerr. Please report back on your success.

Mark.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well got the action all slickered and took some spring out of the mag.door, mag tube and the hammer. took a tad off the top of hammer and the action is sweet ! still have some feeding issues with MY reloads ,but the " MY " is the problem.
Now its MY cracked barrel issue , and sadly I think the "MY" caused it , years ago there was an issue with my new/used gun and I was taking it apart and could not get the front band off cause someone had repaired the front site with jb weld so think I pried on the front stock trying to get to something and the dove tail piece cracked the barrel, ( noted the dove tail piece was out of its grove ) , now Ive put 3-4 hundred rounds thru it but accuracy has gone way down , so I well deal with It when I find a barrel, I don't think it well fly off with cowboy loads ... Hey thanks for the inputs and direction....Jerr

·
Registered
741 Posts
All of the above mentioned things really do help.
In addition to those things I always take a small half round file and smooth the inside edges of the loading gate. With the sharp edge removed the tension is not that much of a problem to your fingers.
Of course to be safe I mask off right up to the edge of the loading gate and am very careful with my filing. Once done just use a little cold blue on the smoothed up edge. BTW this edge is mostly inside the receiver and will barely show even if you don't reblue it.

Reactions: old-machinist
1 - 8 of 8 Posts