Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
When casting bullets can the lead get too hot? I mean to the point it does something to the lead? When I'm casting, it seems everything goes better at about 775° on my thermometer. Is this to hot?

Seems to be my sweet spot.

·
Premium Member
12,147 Posts
You can tell from watching and pouring it. If it is working well for you go with it. Of course I used it for pouring lead joints, so it was used up faster and not very technical as long as it was hot enough to run into the joint.

·
Banned
8,177 Posts
I was told,if you are using alloy wheel weights temp is good at 700-750.Pure lead takes more heat and does not frost up as easily.Growing up I watched my uncle and cousins cast bullets hundreds of times at my uncles bait and ammo shop.They even did fishing sinkers.They never used a thermometer.But anyone else I have ever seen cast bullets does.

Reactions: myflatline

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Some of the best bullets I have ever cast were frosted. One LEE mold for a 180gr. .30 cal RN would warp/bend after being dropped from the mold. I guess EVERYTHING was too hot.

Hip

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have no way of checking the thermometer unless I buy another one, bullets aren't frosting until the mold gets to hot. As far as frosty bullets, from what I've read the jury's still out, 50-50 , good -bad.

Thanks for the reply's

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I cast around 650-675°F. I've never heard that frosted bullets caused a problem other than maybe being brittle. If you get way too hot other metals you may not want can be included, or actual metal fumes can be given off which is a very bad thing for your health. Keep it below 750 IMO.

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks grilla, I use ingots that I have melted down, so hopefully I have all the bad out.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Jim,
I have been casting since th 1970's, belong to the Cast Bullet Association, and have learned a lot over the years. It depends on the alloy and the bullet diameter.

too hot to me would be over 850. My main alloy is w.w. + 2 % tin. I normally cast that at 820 for making match grade bullets. Linotype - 700.

For bullets larger than .25 cal I use 2 molds so that the molds don't overheat.

From what I have read, no harmful vapors would appear until temps reach 1000.

w30wcf

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jim,
I have been casting since th 1970's, belong to the Cast Bullet Association, and have learned a lot over the years. It depends on the alloy and the bullet diameter.

too hot to me would be over 850. My main alloy is w.w. + 2 % tin. I normally cast that at 820 for making match grade bullets. Linotype - 700.

For bullets larger than .25 cal I use 2 molds so that the molds don't overheat.

From what I have read, no harmful vapors would appear until temps reach 1000.

w30wcf
Thanks, that is what I was looking for.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Jim, the only thing I can see happening that is bad at that temp is your Tin may be burning off a little if you dont keep it fluxed in real good.... If you are happy with the way your boolits are filling out and they are not too brittle then you should be good to go.

Doc

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Here is my take on this.....lead would have to almost boil at a temperature well above 1000 degrees to give off toxic fumes. As to frosted bullets being brittle..I like the term less malleable because I've cast and shot many a frosted bullets and they never shatter. However frosted bullets do tend to be a little less in diameter. I've take a nice shiny cast along with a frosted bullet and smashed them with a hammer and they both flatten out the same. As for tin burning off, I know tin will separate from the mix and must be fluxed and stirred back in but I'm not convinced that tin can actually burn out of the mix.

Seems my molds have a temperature they like best. Sometimes it is 650-700, others seems to cast better at or close to the 800 degree mark.

If you really want to worry about lead getting into your system, then pay attention to how you handle the media in your tumbler. Breathing lead dust from that stuff is easy and most never even think about it or realize the danger.

·
Super Moderator
6,348 Posts
Agree to that "some molds like different temperatures". Like 30WCF posted, I use more than one mold, also. How many depends on how hot the mix gets and how hot the mold I'm using gets, as well as how hot my casting area gets. I've seen the time when I could run 4 molds in a rhythm. I could mix iron molds and aluminum molds and get a lot of casting done - with the right rhythm.

Jeff

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
I think the lead casting dangers, most of the advice comes from the mall ninja crowd, who read it in a better homes and gardens issue, which got it from mother earth news, which simply made the story up on conjecture from when kids used to eat lead paint...

Cripes, a couple years back, a Carson City kid found a bottle of mercury in an old shack, took it to school of course, and spilled a bit on the school bus. The feds came in, all had kittens, and they actually SOLD that bus, and replaced it with a new bus. They are probably monitoring the kids each year as well.

Back when GM still built cars in KC, a buddy worked for the battery plant side. Every few months they would do a pee test. Anyone hinting at over exposure, got pulled off the lead lines, and did something else till their pee cleared up.

The only folks I have ever heard of that are really at risk, indoor range workers maybe, plumbers maybe when they used a lot of lead, and similar.

Funny thing is, I saw a list of side effects from some shooting email, I suffered from about half the list. I figured it a long shot, no pun intended, but got a lead test. It came back negative, but I dont do near the shooting and casting and cleaning that I did years back either.

Has to be someone out there to sue, if I just get creative.:biggrin:

Reactions: Sweetwater

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again everybody for the reply's. My main concern was the lead not performing after getting to hot. I'm powdercoating so the frosty means nothing.

Doc, I'll try to get some picture up on the next batch, I went ahead and got the spray machine. It's great, just need it to stop raining.

Reactions: Doc Holliday
1 - 15 of 15 Posts