Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Don't laugh too much.
Buck 2017 (2).JPG
I have shown this picture before, but the buck had come out to graze in my field while I was in the garage working on a project. I was not in a stand that evening but looked out the window and there he was grazing. I grabbed the 35 and went through the garage to an addition where I park my 4 wheeler. Found a rest and shot him. Tractor was in the other part of the garage so I took it out and loaded him up. In some ways it was kind of a let down as you are supposed to be out in the weather, sitting in an uheated stand staring at the same scenery you have been staring at for a couple of days to get a shot. Even in the off season I do not see many bucks on my hay field but this one showed up out of the blue. Even fairly early in the evening. Kind of disappointing to end the season on that note, but really we sit in stands and basically do the same thing. It was deer season, legal shooting hours, a legal dee showed up, I had a rifle handy so I shot it.

DEP

DEP

·
Banned
4,647 Posts
When I was little, I had a great-uncle that lived on a ranch in western OK. The house and outbuildings were located in an old river bottom, and there were always HUNDREDS of turkeys around the place. Yep, they ate a lot of turkey, year-round.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
There was a farm wife that was a friend of my mother and father that live in Iowa. It was said she kept a 22 handy while she was doing kitchen work and if a pheasant looked inviting enough they had pheasant for supper. Don't know how selective she was as to hens or roosters but to her it was cheaper than chicken. I have often felt like I was part of the chain of life as described by Darwin and helped to maintain the deer herd by shooting the real stupid ones. One I shot that was kind of interesting I shot before we had digital cameras. It was an 8 pointer but a dwarf. Didn't realize it until I shot it. Shorter smaller deer and had the facial features. Wish now I would have had photos of it like the doe with one antler I shot.

DEP

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Turkeys are normally plentiful around our place, but I have not seen any this year. The quail, however, are doing VERY nicely!

I am reminded of a late friend of mine who had a place aways out of town. I showed at his place one afternoon, walked into his shop, and said, "Man, Dave! What happened to your window screen?" "Turkeys," he replied. "Turkeys tore up your screen?," I asked. "No. They pooping in my driveway to the pond and I shot at them!," was the answer I got. This is, of course, a cleaned up version. Still makes me laugh to think about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts