Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded my old 336 for an older model Ruger Redhawk Stainless in .44 mag. As pennance for this deed, I came across a pre safety 336 with almost no rust, but needing some repair for $100. It needs another buttstock (walnut, orig. busted), a scope, and some time spent to polish up parts and refinish the wood. Metal is excellent.
Can I do a fore end tip like on my 1895, where the wood is flush and has a sling stud? Also, anyone ever do a 336 where the mag tube is the same length as the fore end, kinda like some of the older Winnies (71?). Always thought they looked real sharp, but I have a strong preference for Marlins over Winnies. :wink:

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
You'll need to cut a dovetail if the gun had a barrel band on the foreend. You can get barrel bands from Marlin that have swivel studs in them. Thats what I did.
The short magazine you'll need another dovetail cut to hold the magazine plug stud thing. You'll also have either a dovetail or cutout by the muzzle where the old one was. Could get it cut down a few inches I guess.

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
It can be done and if you wanted you could make it flush with the end cap. The fore end tip tenon is not a big deal to cut a dovetail for but must be located with close tolerence for fit of the fore arm to tip. You may have to do a little fitting if you get it back too far. Too far fwd and you have a loose fore arm. Parts can be found at http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=082Zz336A

1 - 3 of 3 Posts