Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So out of principle I broke down the rest of that box I had the couple squib loads in just to make sure there were no more. I threw the powder out the door. Can i reload the primed cases and crimp, or do I need to scrap the primers, resize and reflair the brass before I reload? First time Ive ever done this with the pistol rounds.
View attachment 718858

·
Super Moderator
17,805 Posts
I'd reload them... I never try to push out a live primer with the decapping pin. You could push the anvil into the igniter paste and BOOM! I always load the case into the gun one at a time and pull the trigger to detonate the primer...

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
I’ve pulled the decapping pin from my resizer die to straighten out the ‘wrinkles’ in 45-70 cases from salvaged bullet pulled cartridges then rechamfered the mouth.
Why waste 50 good primers?

·
Super Moderator
14,166 Posts
I’ve pulled the decapping pin from my resizer die to straighten out the ‘wrinkles’ in 45-70 cases from salvaged bullet pulled cartridges then rechamfered the mouth.
The above is the answer. Take the decapping pin out of the die resize the brass and load it reusing the bullets you pulled.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guys, it was only 31 primers, but still didnt want to waste them. I have pressed out a couple, but I squinted as I pulled down on the handle and got lucky. Not something I would want to do much of.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
In my experience, if you run the primed case up to where the depriming pin just touches the primer and then finish the process, there shouldn't be any problems. Done that on lots of cases with no problems. On the other hand, if you had no problems with the primers themselves, just go ahead and remove the primer punch and resize and flare the cases and reload as you normally do. HTH

·
Banned
2,609 Posts
Yes, reload them. No use to remove the primers although I've done it several times successfully...even reinstalling them later. One thing I do differently is keep the powder. You know what kind it was right?

Reactions: pricedo

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have had bad primers in past years. I'd detonate the primers and start over as if you're starting with fired brass, starting with decap, resize, flair, fresh primers and powder. I've even tossed the scarred up lead unless you're just using these rounds for plinkin', or into the lead recycle bin to be melted down again. Heck, the hard and time consuming part was pulling the bullet!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have broken down a good deal of military 30-06, salvaged the powder and bullets, and reloaded with cast bullets. I use the bullets for any 30 cal and the powder, known to be 4895, for just about everything. When I use the brass I do have to bell the mouths to accept the cast bullet so I would assume that some case mouth qualification will be necessary.

On the another issue, unless the primer is military crimped in place, WHICH I WOULD NOT BOTHER WITH (just fire it), careful pressure on the reloader handle can unseat live primers quite safely. Done it hundreds of times. Look at it this way, the de-capping stem is inside the case, The case is inside the die, there is no propellant, no projectile. I repeat that I only do this on my reloads.

On the other hand, if you are not comfortable doing this, just chamber the empty case and fire the primer...in a safe direction of course.

At any rate, deal with the primed case. You can kill the primer with Kerosene (WD-40 works). That is how the military pull down outfits do it. A live primer in the trash can be dangerous.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Many years ago a man I knew was removing primers from 7MM Mag cases. He was catching them in his hand to toss in the trash. Yep he found a live one. It shot out of the case into his hand. The hospital called the cops, they treated it as if it was a gun shot wound. Lots of paper work.

·
Banned
8,174 Posts
I’ve taken many a live primer out of the case with my sizer/depriming die without problemBut,in your case it seems a waste of a good primer.
I would remove the priming rod from my sizing die and resize the cases.Then expand and reload.

Reactions: twodot

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
It’s not rocket science ... just remove that little pointy thing that sticks out from the skirt of the die then resize & expand as usual.
Save the powder too presuming you know what it is.
The mouth might need rechamfering too depending on how the bullet pulling operation went.
Done this a few times over the years.

Reactions: GasGuzzler

·
Super Moderator
11,176 Posts
A squib is usually caused by using a slow burning powder and not having a good enough crimp to hold the bullet in until the powder builds enough pressure to burn properly. Or you did not seat your primers all the way to the bottom of the pocket. In any case the primers are still good provided they were not contaminated with case lube or oil. ALl you need to do is to resize the mouth and then bell it again to reseat the bullet.

·
Banned
2,609 Posts
A bit of an exaggeration, don't you think?
Yes, it was.

A squib is usually caused by using a slow burning powder and not having a good enough crimp to hold the bullet in until the powder builds enough pressure to burn properly. Or you did not seat your primers all the way to the bottom of the pocket. In any case the primers are still good provided they were not contaminated with case lube or oil. ALl you need to do is to resize the mouth and then bell it again to reseat the bullet.
The squibs I'll admit to building were from mishandling an automatic powder measure on a turret before I had any clue what I was doing. I know this is not what the OP did as he had a recent topic on turret press or not....so maybe he left a couple cases with no powder another way....?

·
Banned
4,646 Posts
These were your reloads, right? Why did you throw the powder out? Unless it was contaminated somehow, you could have re-used it too with properly weighed/measured charges.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
These were your reloads, right? Why did you throw the powder out? Unless it was contaminated somehow, you could have re-used it too with properly weighed/measured charges.
The powder was contaminated. I used that hammer a couple times for the rifle rounds before I got the collet puller and I noticed a few grains of 3031 when I dumped out the .45 bullet, and I had dumped the primer dirt with the bullets from the couple bad loads into the pile. Its was just a couple tablespoons worth not a big deal. I re did those rounds and ready for the range again. I dont use the rod in the sizing die anyway, I use the universal deprimer before I tumble the brass. (and if I need to remove a primer otherwise)

Cowboy23, I had not heard that before, new twist, if that was the case could the bullet remain in the case in the chamber? I really think somehow I just missed the charge on those. Bullets were pushed out just enough to jam up the action on the gun

·
Banned
2,609 Posts
I keep spilled powder in its own place....and I keep spent primers for no good reason so why listen to me?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.