Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah yeah, I'm one of "those" that bought a mares leg and yes it's pretty much worthless when trying to shoot it without resting it on something. No offense to those that have a mares leg and CAN aim it..
I bought it for 2 reasons.
1st is , I didn't have one and the 2nd is I wanted a membership to their indoor range which was free with a new gun purchase.
So I have a Henry .22lr mares leg and can't hold it steady because of the silly rear stock. My question is, can I put a youth sized stock on the rear and make it a small rifle ?
I know I can't make a long gun a pistol but can I make this change without violating any federal laws :questionmark:

·
Premium Member
14,191 Posts
You at least will have to buy a $200 S.B.R. licence for it. But I would check the present B.A.T.F. regs first, before you go any further.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well thanks for the help but I guess it'll either be traded or never shot again. Kids as small as 5 years old couldn't even use it as a rifle with the short lil stock.
It does have a large loop so maybe I'll switch it with my hoo1 loop before I do anything with it.
But thanks again guys.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you're dead set on having something different, I'd just sell it.
Unless you want to do the ATF SBR tax stamp, you'll need a 16+ inch barrel with that stock.
You could permanently attach a muzzle device to bring it up to 16 inches (see ATF regs for definition of "permanent"), then attach a regular stock. N.B.: If you put the stock on first, you are "manufacturing a short-barreled rifle", which is A Bad Thing in the eyes of our Masters.
You will now have an expensive, fairly ugly Henry the same size as a Youth Model Henry, only with its value lowered.

FWIW, lots of folks have learned to shoot "sawed-off rifle" pistols like that Mare's Leg or the AR / AK pistols quite well. A single point sling definitely helps: loop the sling around your upper body, push the gun away from you to tighten the sling, and it stabilizes it remarkably. If you make the sling just long enough that you can "cheek" the stub, you'll find yourself hitting targets with surprising regularity.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Try mounting a sling and when you shoot it push away with the sling tight and that will help steady your shooting... Maybe a single point sling...

BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
12,533 Posts
As my English teacher would have said, "Yes you can change the stock, however, you may not until you obtain a permit from the Bureau of Alcohol & Tobacco which will cost you $200." AC ps - the cheapest $200 you will ever spend to stay out of jail!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would've never thought of a sling or a sbr law. Looks like the law was put in place to keep people from making long rifles short. I wanna make a short rifle long. Lol
I'll definetly try a sling. Not that I'll be using this much but it's a technique I haven't tried before.
This is why I like this site so much. Good ideas and I learn something about everytime I get on here.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Buy that mare's leg down at Metro Shooting on the Rock Road by chance?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Buy that mare's leg down at Metro Shooting on the Rock Road by chance?
Yep. June 30 2013. Just got around to shooting it on memorial weekend. There wasn't much there I wanted but I thought this was cool at the time and wanted to shoot there since its only a few minutes from my house.
I take it you go there ?

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Yep. June 30 2013. Just got around to shooting it on memorial weekend. There wasn't much there I wanted but I thought this was cool at the time and wanted to shoot there since its only a few minutes from my house.
I take it you go there ?
It's just a few minutes from me as well (Florissant). I took my wife and daughter down there to shoot when they first opened up the new facility (old place was off of Dorsett w/no range) and I was pretty impressed with the exception of the membership. If memory serves, you buy a membership (or get a free one w/purchase of an arm) but you still have to pay to use a lane. Put off, I guess, since we have places like Top Gun and On Target where you buy a membership and shoot at "no charge" after that. Doubly off-putting was that any additional lane users are charged full price too.

I'm a rifle guy, in a big way, I'd say 99.9% of my shooting is rifle so I really need to practice with my pistols and that range is just SO CLOSE I need to get down there more, the membership + range fee just gets my goat for some reason.

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Try mounting a sling and when you shoot it push away with the sling tight and that will help steady your shooting... Maybe a single point sling...

BloodGroove4570
A "push" sling helped me a lot with my Savage Striker single shot pistol and four inch eye-relief rifle scope.17HMR.

I do fine with my much better balanced ten inch T/C Contenders with no sling and pistol scopes.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's just a few minutes from me as well (Florissant). I took my wife and daughter down there to shoot when they first opened up the new facility (old place was off of Dorsett w/no range) and I was pretty impressed with the exception of the membership. If memory serves, you buy a membership (or get a free one w/purchase of an arm) but you still have to pay to use a lane. Put off, I guess, since we have places like Top Gun and On Target where you buy a membership and shoot at "no charge" after that. Doubly off-putting was that any additional lane users are charged full price too.

I'm a rifle guy, in a big way, I'd say 99.9% of my shooting is rifle so I really need to practice with my pistols and that range is just SO CLOSE I need to get down there more, the membership + range fee just gets my goat for some reason.
I was gonna mention how expensive they were but didn't want to sound like a tight wad. Lol. I take everything with me and it's not too bad. Just don't buy your ammo from the range. Cost me $100.00 for two of us to shoot for an hour the first time I went there as a member. Learned fast not to do that again.

I'm looking at some single point slings now. I couldnt find anything under "push sling". But still looking.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You won't find anything labeled "push sling". All the single-point slings I've seen have been sort of "tactical", i.e., nylon webbing with quick-release attachments, bungee-cord sections, etc. looking more "evil black rifle" than "Mare's Leg". Prices range from about $10 up to stupid money.
No reason you can't add one of the cheaper ones to your next Midway or Brownells order, try it out to get the hang of it, and then make (or have made) one in leather. They are pretty simple, after all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.