Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an an old Model 1200 3" magnum 12 gauge from a young soldier who needed the cash. Knowingly paid too much, but heck he is serving me, neck on the line so I paid his asking price.

Buttstock was very beat up and reasonably ugly to start with, pump fore end was a replacement black plastic job. Not attractive. So I found an advertised Model 1200 buttstock and fore end on eBay, got a fair deal and have refinished them. BUT... not a good fit.

The fore stock is the main issue, it is very long with "wings" that go over the receiver when pumping. The black plastic replacement that was on there was much shorter. Enough to grab onto and that's about it. The refinished wood fore stock inside diameter is too big and floats on the pump mechanism. It also doesn't fit snug up to the tightening nut, there is play. Were there different sizes for different years or is there supposed to be a set of shims for the wooden pump handle to fit snug?

The buttstock when held up to the old one looked like it would fit fine although I noticed it was a bit longer than what was on the gun. The refinished buttstock from eBay has one large hole drilled in the end for the long attachment screw - the one on the gun has two large holes, one filled with lead. The stock Winchester butt plate on the original is too short to fit the refinished eBay stock. Crap! And the eBay stock doesn't fit the receiver too well at all; the original is not perfect either but it fits less poorly.

I hope that soldier got good use from the money. Here are some pics. So anyway, what's my problem here??

IMG_0180.JPG IMG_0181.JPG

Reactions: RamCharger

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Is it possible the buttstock and forestock from Ebay is actually a 1200 or it's for the 6 1/4" tube and you have the 4 3/4" tube?

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Is it possible the buttstock and forestock from Ebay is actually a 1200 or it's for the 6 1/4" tube and you have the 4 3/4" tube?
I did a little researching for ya Niftus and it looks like dlallen66 hit the nail there.

Reactions: Octogun

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
and Niftus sort of rule of thumb "Always check fit before finish when it comes to stocks".

Reactions: Octogun

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
I believe he got it from Ebay already refinished.... :flute:

and Niftus sort of rule of thumb "Always check fit before finish when it comes to stocks".

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After holding up the parts and seeing that they "matched" I commenced with the refinish. I figured a Winchester 1200 was a Winchester 1200, we'll call this a learning experience.

The bare tube does measure 6 1/4". The last guy had a 6 1/4" plastic fore stock (stops at the receiver) on there and the eBay one measures 10 1/4" (comes back over the receiver when cycling). Inside the eBay one the area of engagement is 5 1/4" but it kinda looks like there is a place for a spacer or a shim? Does anyone know if that's the case for a long handled pump 1200 handle?

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
I should of paid closer attention to what I wrote. I should of ask if your stock from Ebay could be a "1300"? The 1300 has a different mag tube so that may be where your difference is. Parts list shows a different part number for the buttstock and forearm for the 1200 and 1300 models. Don't recall seeing a sleeve in the 1200 but it's been awhile since I've taken one down.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, that's a good lead. I have looked at the Numrich diagrams which do not have ID dimensions, but from the looks of the pictures everything I have looks normal. But if it's a 1300 set and there are differences that might do it. Thanks.

Dove season begins Monday, I may have to put this back together like it was as Frankengun. My son uses this shotgun, my plan was to send him out with a nice rig this year. He has never complained so I 'spose he and the dove he brings down out of the sky won't mind if it comes to that.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Take the old stock and paint it black with Rustoleum fine grit matte black and it will match the forearm.
... then sell the ones I refinished for a profit back onto eBay. Hey, it's tempting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts