Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Can Anyone ID this GI Army Rifle Case?

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  MarlinManCB45/70 
#1 ·
What World War (I or II) was this rifle case used by the US Army and what rifle was it made to carry?
Plan to sell it and need to know. Is for a 1903 Springfield 30.06 or a Garand? Or something else?
It measures 47 1/4 inches long muzzle end to butt end.
I was under the impression it was a WWI Springfield 30.06 case, but what do I know? LOL.
I cannot find photos online for some reason. I am interested in selling it. But need to know what it fits.

See less See more
Reactions: Scorpiusb
#2 ·
I've seen that case before but don't recall. I wanna say its for a scoped 1903 Springfield but that's just a guess.

EDIT: I was wrong. It's likely a Garand case.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1524/1342/products/amu7111___1.jpg?v=1571453878

#3 · (Edited)
Just checked 1917 Enfield, 1903 Springfield, M1 Garand rifle lengths specs as well as M1 carbine. Only rifle that comes closest to fitting the length of case is the 1917 Enfield at 46.3 inches. That'd leave @ 1/2 inch clearance on both ends. Does that sound about like the fit would be about right? Or did the case have more length than a half an inch allowance for a shorter rifle?

M1917 Enfield
US Rifle, Model of 1917, Caliber 30
Length46.3 in (1,180 mm)
Barrel length26 in (660 mm)
Cartridge.30-06 Springfield (7.62×63mm)
ActionModified Mauser turn bolt

and the 1903 Springfield specs:

M1903 Springfield
Springfield M1903
Mass8.7 lb (3.9 kg)
Length43.2 in (1,100 mm)
Barrel length24 in (610 mm)
Cartridge.30-03 .30-06 Springfield

M1Garand specs:

43.6 inches

The M1 rifle is a . 30 caliber, gas-operated, 8 shot clip-fed, semi-automatic rifle. It is 43.6 inches (1,107 mm) long and it weighs about 9.5 pounds (4.31 kg).

#7 · (Edited)
My Dad either brought it home from WW II OR he bought this sometime back in the 60s, maybe early 70s ?? FWIW I cannot ever remember when we did not have it...this includes my childhood as far back as I can recall it. When I catch him at a "good time" I'll ask him. He's 96 yrs. old.
EDIT: Dad says he brought it home from WW II, when he was issued a new one while in the service. (U.S. Navy)

Inside the butt end is :
SHANE MFG.CO.

Except the "1941" is centered under the "Shane Mfg Co." Unsure why when I type it as such is doesn't come out that way in my post.

And on outside of case 11"- 12" off of the butt end is: U.S.

EDIT: it could be SBANE MFG CO. as it is hard to tell if it's an H or a B. When I do a google search on it, autocorrect on google comes up as SHANE MFG CO.

Thanks for asking as I didn't think to look inside until you asked! It's been hectic around here last few days.

So it appears to me this is "the genuine article", from WW II, and NOT a reproduction.
I applied a little Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil (the blue stuff) on the zipper of case and zipper works really well. It's brass. The case needs about a 1 and 1/2 inch stitching repair exactly 9 1/2 inches from the case's muzzle end on one side. This is where the muzzle end of the case is sewn on to the rest of case. (was sewn together from two sections when they manufactured it)
On the butt end is a very small place where it looks like material got chafed a little, and a very very small hole might be just beginning to start.
Other than that this thing is in unusually very good condition!
The rest of the case's stitching is completely intact. There are no moth holes, tears, or any other damage anywhere on it (unusual), and the shoulder strap is intact and in good working condition too. The US made good stuff in 1941 huh?

#6 ·
Maybe a shotgun case for the 97 or Mod 12?

#9 ·

#11 ·
Mine looks like the 2nd one for the Garand. Thanks!

Reactions: Scorpiusb
#12 ·
The Navy had M1 Garands in WWII according to a hunting buddy. During one evening in our small Virginia mountain deer camp in the late '60 he opened up briefly.

He and other sailors had "shot M1s at the sharks that came in through the large hole for the bodies in the hold." His ship had been torpedoed or hit by a Kamikaze and the sailors shot the sharks.

Once in a while these old heros gave us a glimpse of what they endured through those years. God bless them.

#14 ·
The Navy had M1 Garands in WWII according to a hunting buddy. During one evening in our small Virginia mountain deer camp in the late '60 he opened up briefly.

He and other sailors had "shot M1s at the sharks that came in through the large hole for the bodies in the hold." His ship had been torpedoed or hit by a Kamikaze and the sailors shot the sharks.

Once in a while these old heros gave us a glimpse of what they endured through those years. God bless them.
God Bless Them Every One

Reactions: Good Shooter
#13 · (Edited)
Now I have to decide if I want to keep it or sell it. Which is beginning to be a hard decision for me now.
FWIW...An AR-15/AR-10 won't fit in it. And I don't have a Garand. Garands aren't inexpensive are they? I see they start @ $1400.00.
Wonder how difficult it is to get a really decent one with a good rifliing in the barrel?

#15 · (Edited)
My Father has told me that as he was shooting at the Mitsubishi Zeros, a few times he felt their bullets part the hair on his head. And he said he shot down so many Zeros during the war,that he lost count. He said he'd lay out a couple of tracers and usually hit the zero on his 3rd round fired. He became quite good at it evidently.

He also told that one time he saw a dead japanese (pilot?) in the water,on the beach, who had on a nice watch, so he went to pull his arm out of water to get the wrist watch off his wrist. He said all the skin on the arm pulled off when he pulled on the arm. So, no wrist watch.

He also told me he could feel his Mother's prayers for him. I very recently found some letters he wrote home to his Father and Mother(my Grandparents of course) during WWII, while I moving everything out of three rooms for new carpet to be installed. I hope to get time to read them soon.

Reactions: MF72
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.