Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I heard the drone of several aircraft and looked up to see this. Several aircraft in line formation painting dots and dashes. Why?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
The dots remind me of the old CNC machines we used to run. Loaded the programs off a punched tape.

I have no clue. I lost my decoder ring in one of my moves.

Five guys flying in formation trying to get attention?

Reactions: paulo57509

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah ha! We have an answer. Today at 4pm we have a flyover of the Battle Of Britain commertitive flight. Those in the pic were not WW2 fighters, but must be part of the coming display that will include many. Chair's in the garden are reclined and Mk1 Binoculors on standby...

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
It's cat for to make kitten britches.

Reactions: Scorpiusb

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, ready for this. Its English. It says remember the few. Yes, really. Turn the screen on its side, last two words are pretty clear, THE FEW. Well, I never.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Okay, ready for this. Its English. It says remember the few. Yes, really. Turn the screen on its side, last two words are pretty clear, THE FEW. Well, I never.
^ This. Its called 'skywriting' and has been around for 50 years.

Reactions: tranteruk

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's the new sky writing, seen it done before, I guess it's easier to do, just a little harder to read.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been thinking about it, having several aircraft coordinating with one another must be difficult. They have to stay in line, hold the same altitute. Okay, not so hard but the lettering must be laid in the right pattern to form the letters. They must have a open radio link, a start call then I dont know, a numbered sequence playing out loud. Each pilot knowing when to start and stop the smoke. Or is it all computer controled, just all press go at the same time? Yes, that sounds the most likely. Hm.

Reactions: Kendawg

·
Registered
950 Posts
I've heard it referred to as "Sky Typing" as opposed to "Skywriting"

Reactions: tranteruk

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
This is not like the sky writing I remember as a kid that was done in cursive by barnstormers.
Then they went to towing the banners behind them, haven't seen either in decades.
If they did cursive then the current generation would not be able to read it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts