Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was admiring the Marlin 336w 30-30 rifle for sale at a gun store online. I went to forums to research it and found that military 7.62x39 ammo can be fired in the 336w, which is good because that ammo is cheap (1/3 the price of 30-30 ammo). However, someone said that if you put 7.62x39 ammo in the tube, the tip of a bullet can set off the primer of the next cartridge. Could that happen while shooting the rifle? What if the rifle was dropped with 7.62x39 ammo installed, could it explode?

·
Super Moderator
25,259 Posts
Do not use 7.62X39mm ammo in a 30-30. It might chamber but the bullet and case dimensions are all wrong. Only use ammo that the rifle was chambered for. As to the pointed bullet--I have not heard of pointy bullet ammo detonating in a tubular magazine. I still would never load that type of bullet in a lever action rifle. I don't want to be the next Darwin Award candidate.

·
Super Moderator
25,259 Posts
Russian 7.62mm bullet = .311 inches in diameter
American 7.62mm bullet = .308 inches in diameter

·
Registered
11,566 Posts
Better listen to the above posts.. They are all correct & not steering you wrong!!

·
Premium Member
3,547 Posts
NO NO NO. all you will do is create some interesting problems for your local emergency room !!!!
Well now gentlemen let's not deprive his local EMS of valuable training. Loss of eye, nose and cheek chunks is hard to come by.

·
Administrator
28,479 Posts
TOO MUCH PRESSURE! Use only designated ammunition found stamped on the rifles barrel. All the above posts are spot on.

Regarding spitzer or ballistic tip bullets in a tubular magazine. Traditional bullets used for tubular magazine are flat or round nose design. Sptizer/ballistic tip are pointed much like a rifles firing pin and those pointed tips press up against a primers diaphragm in a tubular magazine. Enough recoil or dropping a rifle on the butt, say from a tree stand, can collapse a primers diaphragm setting off a chain reaction.

Only Hornady's Leverevolution spitzer with patented Flex tips can be safely used in tubular magazines. Look up FTX bullets/ammo on Hornady's website. Otherwise, use traditional flat or round nose ammunition specifically designed for tubular magazines.

Jack

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
Never in my days have I ever considered firing a different caliber bullet in a rifle (nor should you)!!!!!!This as stated by all is NOT a good idea. Guns are a tool and if used incorrectly they can kill and maim the shooter and any bystanders. I don't care how much cheaper it sounds in the end what is the cost of your life?

Get a grip man and follow the manufacturers instructions for your gun and forget what bubba internet fools say can be done.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
I was admiring the Marlin 336w 30-30 rifle for sale at a gun store online. I went to forums to research it and found that military 7.62x39 ammo can be fired in the 336w, which is good because that ammo is cheap (1/3 the price of 30-30 ammo). However, someone said that if you put 7.62x39 ammo in the tube, the tip of a bullet can set off the primer of the next cartridge. Could that happen while shooting the rifle? What if the rifle was dropped with 7.62x39 ammo installed, could it explode?
Um... D4VE?

1. Welcome to MO Forum.

2. Do not use 7.62X39mm ammo in a 30-30.

3. Do not use 7.62X39mm ammo in a 30-30.

4. Do not use 7.62X39mm ammo in a 30-30.

5. Do not use 7.62X39mm ammo in a 30-30.

6. Do not use 7.62X39mm ammo in a 30-30.

7. ..... etc.

·
Super Moderator
25,259 Posts
I think we scared the OP away.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
11,407 Posts
Just because it's on the internet doesn't make it correct, and some may have survives such experiments. 7.62 x 39 operates at pressures above 7.62 NATO, which itself is way higher than 30/30. Try it and you just might make the Darwin awards.

Oh!, and welcome to the forum. AC

·
Registered
811 Posts
Where did you find that the 7.62X39 could be fired in the 30-30? This is not advice anyone should be giving out. Could it be done, I don't know and won't find out. Should it be done, heck no!!!!!! My recommendation is to stay away from wherever you heard or saw this information.
Guns are caliber specific for a reason. Rifles especially.
CF

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
First of all Welcome from KY! Secondly, stay away from the forum that recommends firing 7.62 x anything in a 30-30 just because it fits. I would never even try it to see. I'll bet that the 336W only says "30-30" on the barrel, not "anything that chambers". It's good that you asked first, before trying it though.

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
Dear God, that is like putting a S&W 40 in a 1911, it will fire once, and be spectacular! Joel Lee

·
Premium Member
8,482 Posts
maybe it was posted by an anti-gun D just trying do as much damage as possible - have you noticed the anti's are always wanting to "have someone" do us serious, physical harm....they claim they want to reduce deadly injuries on the one hand - on the other hand they want everyone of us shot/hung/killed - go figure -

1 - 20 of 62 Posts