Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Camp 9 is dead-on accurate, but the trigger is heavier than I'd like. I've done a web search, but can't really find any type of "drop-in" parts that reliably lighten the trigger.
M-Carbo makes a spring kit, but the two reviews on their site are less than steller. And I've had experience with their Marlin 60 spring kit; wasn't that impressed with the result. So I am wary.
I'm not looking for a backyard-mechanic solution like cutting the springs, and I don't want to polish or grind any parts.
So ... does anyone make a reliable trigger-pull reduction kit for this gun, or am I basically stuck with the factory trigger?
Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you be more specific. The only springs they make for the Camp 9/45 are recoil springs, to my knowledge, which would be meaningless for my purposes.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Having recently re-worked my own 9mm Camp Carbine (it's a horror story in itself), I think you may not have many options. There are a LOT of pieces in the "fire control group", and just this fact alone makes it unlikely that a really decent trigger pull is as easily possible as it is on other rifles. I may be wrong about that, (and I hope I am), but it is something to bear in mind.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks North Idaho, I believe you are correct on all counts, based on what I have also heard and read. I think I will either have to live with it or part with it. Time and another range session will tell.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Us shade tree mechanics improve the trigger with some polish on the hammer and sear. I found it reduces the trigger weight by 1/3 to 1/2 and any grit but there will usually be some creep left.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mush - Is there a way to do this without taking everything apart? That is, can you put some polish on a Q-tip or whatever and just work it back and forth on the two surfaces within the trigger assembly, or isn't there enough clearance to get a Q-tip in? I'm not eager to take the trigger assembly apart.
If there is room, what do you recommend for a polish? I've never done this before, so I don't want to go overboard, if I would decide to do it.
Thanks

·
Registered
649 Posts
gunsrfun1, sorry... ya gotta take it apart to get to the parts. See the sticky on trigger teardown and rebuild.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I had seen that video. My question is how to polish the hammer and sear without overdoing it, which I am told can lead to some unpleasant results (doubling, etc.) Not sure I want to attempt this, but if so, can you briefly explain how it's done. I assume you use a Dremel. What type of bit do you use, what type of polishing compound, how do you determine when you've polished it enough, etc.? Thanks

·
Registered
171 Posts
That trigger assembly is very tricky to reassemble.....I wouldn't recommend it. (Too many itsy bitsy fiddly bits!)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a guy years ago replace some trigger parts in my camp 9. He had to use a special jig and it was pricey. Sold it and bought a Ruger pc-9. I still have a camp 45.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No worries there, I have NO plans to mess with the trigger assembly. Planning to take it to the range tomorrow and give it one more chance. If I'm still not liking the trigger, it goes on the auction block. Thanks again to all.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I don't consider the camp series a precision instrument; same thought as an SKS. Most guns will smooth out with some use. You might just try putting a few hundred rounds through it.

There are also some trigger spray lubes that reduce the felt pull. I used to use fishing real oil because it came in a small bottle with a spout that would fit in tight places. It can promote collection of grit if you are using dirty ammo in a blow back action. Works pretty well on bolt actions. If you are cleaning regularly and fire in small volumes, it may serve your purpose.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thought I would circle back with everyone. Thanks for all your information. I've decided to sell my Camp 9. I realized I don't shoot it enough to keep it, and have other bills to pay.
Unfortunately, I can't post it on this forum because I don't have enough posts, but if you know of anyone that is interested, feel free to send them my way.
Thanks again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts