Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally found one that wasn’t junk or museum priced. Then at another table a factory 20 round magazine. Someone said the planets were aligned and I can’t argue.
Already ordered a new buffer and recoil spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,914 Posts
Yep, the Camp 9 doesn't look like a black rifle and thus does not bring unwanted attention. Nonetheless, it can be a very effective self-defense tool. I took mine to the range a while back and fired some rounds. A guy walked up and asked me what I was shooting. He said it looked like a 22 lr but after hearing the report he knew it wasn't.

The camp 9 and camp 45 allow one to be discreet but none the less prepared. Congratulations on your great find!!

T..S.

·
Premium Member
6,914 Posts
FYI to all Camp 9 owners. buymymags.com offers 20 round mags for the Camp 9 at $19.99 and the 30 round mags for $24.99. I ordered three of the 20 round mags. I figured the 30 rounders would be too long and unwieldy.

T.S.

·
Premium Member
4,992 Posts
Congratulations Galaxieman! You even got the front sight hood!

Just about a week ago I also finally got another Camp 9. I traded my first one for an 1894 44 mag, and have missed it even since. Then a local fella wanted a Beretta 92 FS for his Camp 9 and I got to him first!

Both happened to be the Deluxe models. This one is nice, but my first one was mint. I put a new buffer and spring in it, but this one was already done. The S&W 6906 12 round mags fit pretty flush with the bottom of the mag housing.

Sweet little rifles!

I'm keeping this one this time! Just ordered 3 Mec-Gar 20 round mags for it, got 3 15 round S&W mags with it. My first one seemed to like the lighter ammo (115 gr), not sure about this one yet.

They are pretty sweet once you get those crumbly buffers replaced.

Reactions: galaxieman

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Congratulations. Several different magazines of different brands and capacities will fit it. The factory 20 rounder is definitely bonus!

Unfortunately mine has a collapsible Choate stock. So I guess it is a black rifle, that isn’t a black rifle. that is a black rifle. I wish it wasn’t… i’d gladly put the factory stock back on it if I had it.

·
Premium Member
10,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wish I had one of the choate folders for it. I would put my wood stock away for safe keeping

·
Registered
670 Posts
Better order the side plates that the holes wear out in. I think if most people looked at the inner workings they would get rid of it and get a AR9. Just for laughs do take it apart and tell me I’m wrong. BTW Camp 9’s eat up buffers. Good thing you ordered some. Don’t get me wrong, I love Marlins of which I have over a dozen. But Camp 9’s and 45’s are somewhat clunky on the inside.

·
Premium Member
10,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took it apart. Still easier than a Winchester 94.
Parts arrived today. Installed the new buffer and heavier recoil spring. From what I find those two items reduced the wear problems a lot
Accuracy surprised me. 20 rounds at 25 yards could be covered by my fist. Would be fine for home defense.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The heavier recoil spring extends the life of a buffer. I got the heaviest recoil spring from wolfe when I first bought my Camp9. I have over 500 rounds on the buffer that needed to be replaced then. It doesn’t look to have changed much. The heavy recoil spring can take a Herculean effort to charge the rifle.

The wifey used It on a javelina hunt. She didn’t like lugging it around much. The collapsible Choate stock adds some heft.

·
Premium Member
10,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From what I have read the original recoil spring was 11 lbs. the replacement I installed is 16 or thereabouts but they have a 21lb. I could tell a big difference pulling the charging handle just with the 16. Cannot imagine the 21

Reactions: Darkcloud

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think if most people looked at the inner workings they would get rid of it and get a AR9. Just for laughs do take it apart and tell me I’m wrong.
You are wrong. :D I have both the Camp 9 and an AR9. Yes, the AR9 is easier to take apart, but taking the Camp 9 apart was no issue and yes I did take the trigger group apart. The video linked here in the Camp 9 area is very good and if you watch that you shouldn't have any problems. I'm not selling the Camp 9 to get another AR 9. There are a lot of things that are easier to work on because of folks sharing info on the internet. I've got a Savage-Stevens 87a and I would rather take apart the Camp 9 than get very deep into the 87a.

I think that almost every issue with the Camp 9 I've seen described are due to the weak spring and buffer. The best thing that can happen when the buffer goes if for the gun to quit working, because if it is shot with a bad buffer all kinds of damage can happen.

I'm partial to Pistol Caliber Carbines, I own two Ruger PC Carbines, a PSA AR 9, and now the Camp 9.

@galaxieman - Nice find, I found mine in a pawn shop.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The bolt is pretty heavy to be slamming around inside the receiver under recoil. I changed to the stiffest spring to help mitigate any recoil damage, especially to the buffer. I figured if I had any issues I go to the medium heavy spring. I haven’t had any issues cycling/feeding rounds with the heaviest spring.

They make a charging assist tool that fits over the bolt handle. I made one by cutting a groove in a piece of aluminum pipe so my wife could use the gun.

I haven’t tried it myself but I am a little curious if anybody has run rounds through a chronograph comparing different spring rates. Is there any change in bullet speed with heavier springs?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts