Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my new camp carbine 9 apart to clean and inspect it and I noticed that recoil spring guide rod is all chewed up.
I light oiled it and reinstalled ,then seeing that it protrudes through the bolt and into the chamber area, it must be getting chewed up by flying brass? Strange design
any body else see this?

Reactions: Pshooter

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To answer my own question....I guess the original recoil spring had chewed up the guide rod. I am going to lightly sand it smooth and install a new recoil spring. I see Numrich sells new guide rods. That 's an option too?

Reactions: Pshooter

·
Registered
49 Posts
My camp 45 rod is beat up also. I cleaned it up, only smoothing out the burrs and then lightly chamfered the hole in the bolt face. I am keeping an eye on it going forward. Someday I need to buy spare parts.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My camp 45 rod is beat up also. I cleaned it up, only smoothing out the burrs and then lightly chamfered the hole in the bolt face. I am keeping an eye on it going forward. Someday I need to buy spare parts.
I got a new guide rod for under $10, a new bolt stop ,( mine that is peened pretty badly) Numrich .
I then got the usual replacement parts that may break in the future, ejector, extractor,strut bridge assembly,firing pin etc.

Reactions: Rock185

·
Registered
889 Posts
To answer my own question....I guess the original recoil spring had chewed up the guide rod. I am going to lightly sand it smooth and install a new recoil spring. I see Numrich sells new guide rods. That 's an option too?
Don't forget to get new recoil buffers when you replace the spring. Cheap insurance. My Camp 9 looked like new when I bought it, but when I took it apart, the buffers came out in pieces.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.