Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any insight on my problem with the trigger group in the Camp 9? I have taken it apart twice (it's a bear to get the 3 staked pins to line up simultaneously for reassembly), but I still can't figure why the trigger won't return. The Camp 45 has a trigger return spring on the schematic, but the 9 does not. Yet, there's something wrong with the way I put it back together (I guess), since the trigger snaps back when a mag is inserted. Then, you must manually push the trigger back to the "fire" position and the gun will then fire when the trigger is pulled. But, the trigger stays back and you have to do it all over again to fire the next round. Mush helped me out with the fact it's an older model without the bolt hold-open lever on the mag well, but in and of itself, that doesn't tell me why the trigger isn't operating properly. The trigger is not binding or anything, as I am able to physically push it back into fire position as stated. However, I'm wondering if the hammer strut and bridge might be the incorrect part for the model I have - not sure what that would have to do with the trigger return, but I'm grasping at straws here... Anyone had any experience with a similar problem? It would be nice to have a jig of some-sort to help reassemble the trigger-group/fire control mechanism for those stubborn staked pins also. The trigger disconnector looks to have something to do with my issue, but it looks to be installed correctly and works correctly with the magazine, so... Any help would be appreciated here and thanks in advance.
ChiefMike

·
Registered
294 Posts
mine would not work without the magazine in at all, but with the mag in worked fine with the spring in place. check photos in various repair threads and look for the return spring in the camp 9. It SHOULD have one (at least mine did).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok!! - Realized the older model did NOT have a trigger spring or the trigger-spring pin (nor the pin-hole in the trigger housing for the pin). So, I ordered the trigger spring and pin and a new housing (housing didn't need - only to measure it for pin-hole placement in the old trigger housing). I measured for, and drilled the pin-hole in the trigger housing, installed the spring and pin and it works like a champ. I learned a lot about the Camp 9 during this process - like they no longer make the hammer-bridge for the older style that doesn't have the trigger spring (the hammer-bridge had a tang that hang down against the trigger making it return). So, any of these older models will have to be modified (like I modified my customer's) to fit the new hammer-bridge and accompany the added trigger spring and pin to make it work. If anyone has problems with the their Camp 9/45, I am now confident of being able to repair them. I've sort-of made a specialty on these great little guns, so contact me if you need help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ChiefMike,
Just joined this forum tonight for this very reason. I just purchased a Marlin Camp 9 "parts" gun. :biggrin: If i am reading the s/n correctly I have the 1,075th Marlin Camp 9 made in 1985. I research on this forum and knew that there was an earlier and later model. I researched and saw parts out on the web for sale, so I purchased the "parts" gun. After watching the trigger group assemble video here I ordering all the missing parts and all new springs, and all was good execpt for a small minor detail, the trigger didn't return forward. I had seen that the trigger return spring and pin wasn't in my parts basket (which was my gun with towel paper stuffed in it to keep the loose parts from falling out), so I had ordered them. It wasn't until I ready looked at the video and my trigger housing that I saw there was no hole for the trigger return spring pin! :( I then read about some forun member who had called Marlin about the same issue and had installed the trigger return spring, but I couldn't find any info on why he had done that. This was what I was looking for, now I know what options I have.

ChiefMike, can you give me the measurements for the trigger return spring pin hole? I know, but having an area to start from is better than having to discover it myself, and I do miss sometimes :flute:. The measurements would be 1) from the hole to the top of the trigger housing and 2) the hole to the back of the trigger housing (yeah, this would be 90 degree angle) and the measurement 3) from the hole to the back top corner of the trigger housing. I don't suppose anyone has or would care to take a picture and give some measurements of the older style hammer-bridge with the tang?

Does anyone know where an older style hammer-bridge with the tang can be purchased. I really would hate to have to drill the trigger housing, but I brought this gun to shot, so that's what's going to happen unless I can purchase one or someone wants to buy a piece of history.

I have a question about the trigger assemble, what is the purpose of the small lever on the back of the trigger that has a spring (Trigger Disconnector, Ill #63, part # 216253 in my parts list that I downloaded). The Sear seems like it wants to hit it and I at first thought that it had broken off and was the cause of the trigger not returning forward.

If someone reads this who can make it happen, the thread above from ChiefMike should be a stickie for the Marlin Camp group. It would be great info to let everybody know that there are two earlier models and one later model of the trigger housing and two different model of the hammer-bridge (with a tang and without a tang). It would also help if someone could help identify the year that Marlin changed the hammer-bridge by removing the tang and adding the trigger return spring and trigger return spring pin to the trigger housing.

Sorry I didn't post any pictures, it's late and my wife is on me to get to bed, so pictures will have to wait. I will post some pictures that show my trigger housing without the trigger return spring hole.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Everyone,

New to this forum. I am trying to get the dimensions or measurements to locate the pin hole. Can anyone tell me if the dimensions are the same for a Camp 9 and a Camp 45? I am have a customer Camp 9 to repair for a customer that has the old style strut bridge. I have a Camp 45 on the shelf that I could use to measure if they are the same. I don't know how to locate "post #81" referenced above. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Frank

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
YouTube should have a tutorial on the camp 9. Audio/visual.

·
Registered
645 Posts
WRSA:

"I don't know how to locate "post #81" referenced above."

Forum

Other Marlins

CAMP STICKIES & FAQ

Camp 9 trigger group breakdown and rebuild

Upper right corner – find page 9

Find post #81 (number on upper right part of the page)

·
Registered
2 Posts
That is exactly what I needed. Thank you so much Mush! And sorry for the slow uptake on "post #81." I had a palm on forehead moment after reading your two posts again!

Frank

·
Registered
645 Posts
WRSA,

Did the hyper link not work on my post #5? (Camp 9 trigger group breakdown and rebuild). I think you have to be signed in to make it work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts