Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello out there. I have a Marlin camp 9 that I have yet to fire. To get it ready, I replaced the buffer and put in the recommended 16.5 lb spring and reassembled it. The problem I am having is the bolt will not stay open with the empty magazine in the well. I have disassembled it and reassembled it, following the instructions in the owner's manual six times now and I can not figure out why I am having this problem. If anyone out there has had this problem or knows how to fixed it, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you. Thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, I tried several mags and got the same results, bolt will not stay open. I tried a larger capacity S&W model 59 mag set into the well and noticed that after the mag was seated, I could push the mag in an extra 1/32 of an inch and the bolt held in place until I removed my thumb off the magazine and the bolt closed as a result.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hey Steve, The bolt would lock back before I disassembled it and no I can not lock the bolt back with or without a magazine in it unless I push the magazine in beyond where it locks in to place, the magazine that is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks Steve, I tried that too, putting the old spring back in and that didn't work either.

I checked out M45 bolt hold open doesn't work and should I worry about it? I've used the old and new spring and the bold will not stay open. I have the bolt stop in place and that doesn't correct the problem. I go look and poke around a bit more.
I appreciate your help and look forward to reading anything you write. I have to make my rounds so I'll be seeing you. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ya, I'm at a loss. If it worked before and now it doesn't, then something must have changed. You may want to disassemble and reassemble again. Is the little bolt stop screw in place correctly?

And check the bolt stop out for any damage. On mine, the bolt stop became worn down where it hit the breech bolt and eventually it would not lock the bolt securely, it would just slide over it. I replaced the bolt stop and it fixed it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Steve, I did look closely at the bolt stop, the lower back edge is worn down. This morning I ordered a new bolt stop and bolt spring. I have one last question for you Steve, I also noticed some loss of metal on the breech bolt where the bolt stop was hitting it, did you also have this wear and tear on your breech bolt? Look forward to hearing from you again. JD

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also have some wear on my bolt. Like you're doing, I ordered just the bolt stop and kept my fingers crossed since a replacement bolt is pricey.

Luckily, it wasn't bad enough and it worked with just a new bolt stop.

I expect you will be fine as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
649 Posts
You may also check that the recoil buffer is firmly back in place. Even a small amount out of place will keep the bolt from going fully rearward and could keep the bolt stop from locking up in the bolt hold hold open position.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Steve,
If you don't mine me asking where did you order your bolt stop and bolt stop spring from? I took apart my step-fathers gun to replace a hammer strut bridge that broke from what I believe was the buffer that failed and I noticed his bolt won't stay back either. Plus the spring looks slightly bent and it probably should be replaced as well.
Thanks in advance for your reply.

-S

·
Registered
649 Posts
Look at Numrich and Midwayusa web sites. The Spring can be bent a little but it is a high wear item. Look at your bolt stop and see if there is a "nub" sticking out about midway up. If the nub is missing the bolt stop will not work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts