Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a nice used Camp 45 last month. After reading many posts here, decided to go for a full strip, detail clean, new buffer, 21# main spring & and misc spring replacement. The one surprise was the bolt stop spring. The existing is badly bent at the end, and seemed wimpy. The new spring arrived today from Midway. While it looks much beefier than the existing spring, the new one is marginally bigger in diam than the hole in which it is supposed to fit.

Anyone else run into this with their Camp guns?

Oh, I have added an EGW rail, along with a Millet 1.5-4 short scope.

·
Registered
649 Posts
The bolt stop spring is suppose to be a tight fit because it should not fall out when you strip the reciever. Now how much bigger is the Midway spring? Can you get the spring into the hole with out bending it too much?

One trick I used is if the spring is only bent on one end just reverse the spring and the bent end will keep the spring in the hole and use the good end for the bolt hold open.

For Marlin parts call Marlin direct. The prices were better than many other suppliers but Marlin was low tech (telephone to a person only) in parts supply. You need to call during business hours.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Mush. With the way I like to take things apart, I'll give Marlin a call & get a spare set of springs & pins on-hand.

The I.D. of the hole is about equal to the I.D. of the spring. As to the existing, I can reverse it. It just seems much weaker than the one I got from Midway. Was hoping this wasn't uncommon, and that somebody wiser than me had already figured out something better than my typical "hammer to fit" response :)

·
Registered
649 Posts
This spring is not stout. If you look at the spring that is bent you can see how easy it is to bend. I have found that when you order springs from other than the manufacturer you have no idea of what you are getting. Some are better and some just don't work -they are too - long, short, wide, strong, or weak.

The bolt stop spring on the Camp's are a high wear (bent) items. IMHO care needs to be used when re-assembling the reciever. If the pins do not go in easy, you do not have everything correctly in place. I would order several springs from Marlin if you are keeping the Camp rifle for a long time.

I have overhauled 4 Camp's and all the Bolt Stop springs were bent. I would think a flat spring would be better. But IMHO Marlin had thousands of those springs in stock and needed something to do with them. I wonder what other Marlin rifle that spring goes into.......

You have me wondering..... As I recall I had to twist that spring to get it into the hole so maybe your spring is correct. Just turn it so the spring compresses into the center as you push it into the hole. I do not recall it taking much force but it is not just a drop in part. It requires some ... influence ... to get it into place. I do know it does not fall out in the rifles I worked on.

And the "Hammer to fit" really does not work except in a few rare cases, IMHO>

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mush said:
... And the "Hammer to fit" really does not work except in a few rare cases, IMHO>
Agreed. Learned that the hard way decades ago, and I occasionally re-learn as needed.

I will call Marlin on Monday. Thanks again.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Ray, I measured my Bolt Stop Spring I bought new from Marlin. Camp 9 and 45 Part # 416794. Please remember I have big hands holding a small spring using a Hornady dial caliper with the sun in my eyes and my dog chewing on the caliper as I use it....... ;D But I did my best to be accurate and I did zero before taking measurements.......

OAL - .485 (all inches)
width at end of spring - .127
width at middle of spring - .125
thickness of steel - .015

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, after comparing your measurements to my new spring (OD: 0.150, ID: 0.121), the existing spring (OD: 0.125 at the middle near the unbent end) and the ID of the recess in my CC45 (0.125), I finally realized I ordered the wrong spring. :-[ What I have is the mag latch spring.

It's not an excuse, but I did order a handful of pins & springs based solely on the on-line catalog description; and ordered one or two of each spring listed as applicable to the Camp Carbine.

I only found & downloaded the users' manual and parts list yesterday (thanks to MarlinOwners.com). When I call Marlin, I'll be able to provide mfr's part number and official nomenclature.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know this isn't as tekky as your discussion here, but do you think there may be some burnt crud in the hole that needs cleaning out first?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pretty certain the hole is cleaned out. Got the usual residue & old grease at first, but now the pipe cleaner comes out clean.

Though I was surprised when I cleaned out the rear screw hole in the receiver; there I found lots of rust when I pulled the Hoppes-soaked q-tip. Turns out the bottom of the hole was flled with lathe turnings. There was basically a rusty steel sponge at the bottom of a blind hole.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I should say the CC 45 cleaning happened last weekend; including the tailings discovery. Now I'm just patiently waiting on the spring replacements to put the bolt back together. I did get the new extractor spring Friday; so that recess is cleaned, lubed and assembled. Noted yesterday that while Midway says the extractor and cartridge indicator springs are the same, Marlin lists two part numbers. So I'll wait 'til I get the Marlin part before I finish that reassembly.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Correct spring (and spares) arrived yesterday; fits well. CC45 now re-assembled with new bolt stop spring, a 21# mainspring, and new buffer. Time to dial in the scope tomorrow, and break in a few new magazines. Thanks for the feedback!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts