Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I walked in the gun shop and saw the nicest little Marlin bolt action rifle with camo stock. It is marked model 25 N, but from looking at the Marlin website it would now be called a 925C.
Had a cheapie 3 x 9 scope I put on it, was going to mount a Bushnell 4x I had sitting around, but now think I would like to find a matching camo finished scope. I thought a couple years ago everyone had a camo finished scope, now all I can find is a Nikon 4x. The Nikon is a nice scope, but a little more than I want to spend. Anybody know where a good camo finished .22 scope can be found?
BTW, I posted elsewhere about the groups I have gotten with Winchester Power Points and Remington Thunderbolts. I cannot believe how good this rifle shoots. I get to go in late tomorow, plan to spend the morning trying a little more bench shooting.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I bought the Simmons scope. It is marked on the package realtree hardwoods 3-9 X40. It was cheap, less than $30.00 off ebay. I was kinda suprised by the heft, it is heavier than the previous scope I had on the rifle.
The scope rifle combo ara a good looking package I think. Had to remove the rear sight elevator to clear the 40 mm objective. Scope looks suprisingly clear, got it sighted in now, plan to try the scope/rifle combo tomorow morning in the woods. Ths knobs click audibly when turned, I am suprised the scope looks this good. I want to try some different ammo off the bench this weekend will try to post results.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I have had good luck with Simmons scopes.. I hope you will also.. the 25n is a good rifle for sure I have the big brother the 25mn( magnum) its awesome.. I have not got real serious but I do think I can max the bdt with it.. Its my groundhog gun for around the house.. I have reg 22 scope on it and am very satisfied with preformance of both..

You will have to try different ammo to see what she likes best , but I am sure its a shooter

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got out into the woods this morning. Saw two Grey's, got one. Planning to go to the range later for some bench shooting on the BDT.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I am sure once you find the ammo its sweet on you will be very happy..

most of mine shoot good with cci hps.. but the winchester high vel. hps seem to be tighter .

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have on hand some CCI Mini Mags, but they don't group all that well. Also have some Winchester power point HP's that do a lot better. So far the best is an old box of Remmington Thunderbolts, they group real good. Hate to hear the newer Remmington stuff might not be up to par. Still looking for something it likes better.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I did max the bdt with rem golden's.. in a Rem 581.. with cheap tasco scope.. so its all in what the gun likes for sure.. Most cz's like the cci but mine prefers the winchesters. all are good enough for hunting though..

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't make it to the range today. Still going to try to go tomorow. I want to stop by wallyworld and get an assortment of .22's to try out. My list includes CCI Velocitors, some more Thunderbolts, Elley and/or Wolf target. Can you think of some other possibilities that might shoot good in a micro groove barrel? Also, saw an add for some Aquila .22 sniper rounds, a whopping 60gr bullet at like 950 fps. Anyone know how these shoot?

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Sarge keeps up on the Aguila .. I never heard of it. .. I prefer any jacketed over lead lubed bullets.. but wolf does shoot great.. I am not into the fast velocitors and stingers as there not recomended by any manufacture.. some like them, I never found a need for them.. reg lr does the trick..and thats over kill to some that prefer shorts .. :lol:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I finally made it to the range. My trip to Wallyworld produced another box of Rem Thunderbolts (wanted to see if new production was as good as older stuff) a box of Federal Champion High Vel 40 grain solids, a box of Rem subsonics ($2 something a box) plus I had a box of Win Power Point High Vel Hollow Points from my home stash.
Inyteresting results. The subsonics showed a lot of promise with an initial 3 shot group in one hole right over the center of the bullseye. Everything went to heck after that with every 5 shot group of the subsonics having at least one flyer.
The $.98 Federal champion 40 gr solids were the suprise of the day. Consistent good groups slightly behind the leader.
The power points gave good accuracy, enough to rank a 3rd place rating.
The winner for my Marlin 25N is again the Rem 22 Thunderbolts. The first 5 shot group was one ragged hole slightly above the bullseye.
I didn't test the CCI 22 LR Mini Mags as prior testing showed them to be in the also ran category for my rifle.
I was amazed at how quiet the subsonics were.
Tried the BDC target, in practice I could do ok, but usually blew it for score. Will continue trying though.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
the BDT is lots harder than it looks.. you can shoot clovers all damn day and not beat that SOB &^%*$*$$*%$&*$ of a target.. :twisted:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
H&## yeah! I was cussin by the time I left the range. Plan to go back for another whack at it tomorow. Talked a buddy of mine into bring out his CZ to try it on the BDT.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
You can shoot one hole all day long with 10 rounds and not beat that target.. I think John has a hex on it.. after all he is from LA.. :twisted:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
went back for another crack at BDC target. Only had on hand some match type ammo I picked up to try in my Marlin. I tried Elley Target cluband Dynamit Nobel match. My Marlin would not shoot either worth a hoot. Tried to score in the sniper range but kept hitting the black. Went to the range to relax a little, not cuss that G*$#m^ BDC target. This is addictive and why I am now thinking about a CZ.
p.s. took a mavica pic of my Marlin, how do you post pics on this site?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts