Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
7,641 Posts

Hi PiGuy,

I'm surprised that Unique didn't work for you. My rifles love Unique and IMR 3031, 2400 is a no no. Be sure to keep your muzzle velocities down below the speed of sound. Bullets are often affected when dropping thru the sound barrier. Otherwise, you will need a velocity high enough to assure that the bullet is still well above the speed of sound at impact.
You didn't tell us about your trigger. Very important that you have a good trigger. I like a light pull on my triggers (from benchrest days) but not so light as to cause control issues. My 39A and 336 CB are both set at 2 pounds and work great shooting steel. Hunting rifles are not less than 3 pounds.

· Premium Member
7,641 Posts

"Is that a gas check design?" Nope just a plain base bullet. Gas checks not needed at velocity under 1600 fps. and no need to go over that with cast bullets.

Advise the nut behind the trigger that the importance of consistent form cannot be overstated. Apply exactly the same pressure in holding the rifle for each shot, same hand pressure, same cheek pressure, and same shoulder pressure. Marlins are very sensitive to pressure. I can change impact point just by holding the rifle differently. Same with the cross sticks, they must set exactly the same each time.

We shouldn't tell you all of our secrets, we may have to shoot against you one day. ;D ;D

· Premium Member
7,641 Posts
Strider said:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Trail Boss powder.

That stuff shoots good in everything I've tried.

I've even been shooting cast bullets in my .30-06.
When one finds a combo that works in the 38-55 it's very hard to break away and try something unknown. I have some Trail Boss on hand but I also have a large supply of Unique and Unique works in my rifles. Herco also works well in many straight cases, anyone remember Herco? Blue Dot works well in some but my Marlins don't care for it. So back to Unique.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.