Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I entered the marlin 38-55 world a few months back. Why did I take so long? I have been trying to get a good 200 yard load for our monthly buffalo shoot. The best so far is 15.3 grains of 4759 and a 250 lee bullet. With tang sight and a 17 lyman front, I have managed to stay in the 3" range at 200. I am up against 12 pound sharps with sights that run about what I paid for the Marlin. Any of you guys have some tips to share? Any help is appreciated. ???

· Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those are some real good suggestions. Reading those exploits with 38-55s convinced me to get one. The match is 25 rounds, with 5 offhand. When I suggested more offhand shooting for the match, a couple of the guys suggested that the target should be me. Could say the interest in running and gunning with those unwheeled cannons was kinda low. I tried unique, my gun was not pleased.

· Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bore mikes at .378", been using bullets that go at .380". The rifle shoots pretty well with all the loads tried. It will do about 3" at 200 yards using blown out 30-30 brass. I want to try some long starline; but it has been out of stock. Thanks for your responses.

· Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wind, it is your fault that I had to have 38-55. It is my favorite gun now. The match is 5 shots offhand at a 12" plate at 100 yards. That is no
problem, except with those 14 pound sharps. There are 5 shots at a 6" square plate at100 yards from crosssticks on a bench. That one is pretty easy. Then 5 shots at 100 yards at a 5" circle from the crosssticks. That one is not too tough. At 200 yards all ten shots are from the bench crossticks, front support only. There are 5 shots at an 8" square and 5 at an 8" circle. This is where the match is won or lost. The rifle is up to the task, but I find my point of impact varies with light changes. I use the aperture front sight, but I think the adjustable rear aperture might bemy next move, good suggestion. I have managed to get within a point or two of the winning Sharps guys; just need thatimpact ting worked out. Not young any more, focus is the issue it seems. I like he idea of being able to dial in the focus. They are a good bunch of guys, but regard leverguns with a little disdain. Sure would be fun to administer a little beatdown from the lowly Marlin. 8)

· Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Boats, your comments are spot on. The best shooters at my match all have some type of adjusaible aperture. What are your thoughts on the lee shaver inserts for the lyman 17? Swany, I use only shooting glasses and side shades, lastik cured my nearsightness. I do need reading glasses, and struggle a bit to focus the front sight with certain light conditions. Thanks for your comments. 8)

· Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello JBledsoe, 44LVR,

It is not so much my rifle does not like unique as it simply shoots better with 4759. The rifle shoots pretty well with everything I have tried. Having it only a couple of months and bad weather have limited my play time. I killed my chrony with a gas check and need to replace it. The sound and feel of the load leads me to think it is around 1100, no crack but a good boom. The match requires 1400 or less and lead bullets. That would require a good BC to maintain the speed of sound out to 200 yards. Power is not a big factor, just need to hit the steel hard enough the spotter can see movement. The only bullet I have tried is a lee 250, need to try some others. It has the best trigger of any of my Marlins, and a few of them are very good. I also need a good load to shoot CLA, if I can find a match near enough. My current load might not be enough for the rams. Shot a few groups at 200 today, the worst was 3.4"at 200, the best at 2.5". That sounds in line with what you guys are getting. I beleive the trigger nut needs some adjustment, more time on the task. I like the sound of the 3031 load for porkers. Is that a gas check design? 8)

piguy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.