Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called Marlin the other day and said I wanted to buy "stuff" but couldn't buy stuff unless there was stuff available to buy.

The guy I talked to was pretty friendly and said that production should be up and running soon and that 1894 models and such should be back in stock later this summer. I want an 1894CB .357 but there are none to be had.

Ike

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
djh said:
Check GunBroker.Com. The price is only going to go up for these guns. It won't be long until the demand for New Haven made Marlin's will drive the prices up. Watch and see.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=226393047
Thanks for the link, but I'm really wanting the 20" barrel model. A non-stratospheric price wouldn't hurt either. I'm no expert about the gun market but I'm thinking prices would come down, or at least level off, when production returns. Maybe?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Don't look for that to happen. The guys that already have them and actually shoot them in SASS won't even tak about selling. I shoot with 2 guys that have the 24" models in .44 mag. Neither would take a grand for them, I tried.
Yesterday I broke the carrier on my 20" model on stage one. I was asked to sell it before I got it back to the cart to get my 24 for the reshoot.

·
Registered
95 Posts
That little plunger/spring that lifts it.
On the very first stage.

Might be a good time to do the Widder thing to it, had lunch with Marshall WD and Clancy after the match and all WD did was gloat at how great his Marlin is now............... lol!

·
Registered
701 Posts
I bought a 20 inch octagon barrel 357 from a gentleman since I couldn't find a 24 inch. Two hours after sending off the FFL and money order for it, a used 24 inch surfaced...my allowance was in hock for the next couple months, but I bought it.

What do you consider a "non stratospheric price" for the 20 inch gun?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
edk said:
I bought a 20 inch octagon barrel 357 from a gentleman since I couldn't find a 24 inch. Two hours after sending off the FFL and money order for it, a used 24 inch surfaced...my allowance was in hock for the next couple months, but I bought it.

What do you consider a "non stratospheric price" for the 20 inch gun?
Can you email me about this? Your public profile didn't list an email for you - or I don't know where to find it.

Obviously I'd like to know the condition of the gun, new/used/, etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
567 Posts
POP,

If you were able to recover the plunger itself, it can be fixed in no time.

You can use an appropriate size ball point spring from an ink pen AND use a 1/8" e-clip instead of that blamed ole washer that Marlin uses.

I've modified all my carriers to use the e-clip and throw away that washer.
And anytime I work on somebody's Marlin, I do the same thing.

I've had washers wear out in less than a year on 2 of my Marlins but the replacement e-clip has lasted 2+ years.

..........Widder

·
Registered
95 Posts
We lost it on stage one.
It kinda felt like it was binding and then locked open. with 5 rounds still in the gun.
pulled the bolt at the unloading table and it must have gone south right there.

·
Registered
567 Posts
POP,

if someone at Remington will send you just that little stud, your carrier can be salvaged and like new again.....actually, better than new.

I'm not aware of any aftermarket suppliers of those plungers.

Feel free to call me anytime:

day: 865/215-3059
evenings: 865/984-4455

..........Widder

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
IKE, as to the original question asked, do go to Gun Broker or another place and find yourself a CB. 375. Dont buy a new in box, because you'll end up with a Remington. Watch every day until one comes up. They will come up. The price varies from low $700.00 up to over a thousand +. The 20" should definitely be cheaper than the 24", BUT you might want to spend the extra now instead of later (pay more) to buy a 24" CBL. I don't think the prices are really going to go down, because guys like you want to buy their first one (I can't blame you). Everybody knows the older JM proofs are better than the new REMs, so get yourself a nice .357 CBL 24" made between '96 and 2003......... I don't think you'll regret it. I've got two, and love em. You know how the Filson ad reads "Might as well have the best"
Good luck!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
AINT NO FISH said:
IKE, as to the original question asked, do go to Gun Broker or another place and find yourself a CB. 375. Dont buy a new in box, because you'll end up with a Remington. Watch every day until one comes up. They will come up. The price varies from low $700.00 up to over a thousand +. The 20" should definitely be cheaper than the 24", BUT you might want to spend the extra now instead of later (pay more) to buy a 24" CBL. I don't think the prices are really going to go down, because guys like you want to buy their first one (I can't blame you). Everybody knows the older JM proofs are better than the new REMs, so get yourself a nice .357 CBL 24" made between '96 and 2003......... I don't think you'll regret it. I've got two, and love em. You know how the Filson ad reads "Might as well have the best"
Good luck!!
Fish,

Between your comments and those posted by others on this thread I think I'm going to have to hunker down and keep the old eyes peeled for MY cowboy. Thanks!
Ike

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
IKE, there you go, someone did the looking for you. Now as long as no one else here is interested in buying one of these great rifles you might have a shot at a good price. As I've brought up before, announcing desirable guns from GB here on Marlinowners draws extra attention to the gun, possibly making bidding more competitive. I know we want to share, but if anybody's really interested they're going to check out the auction sites anyway. I'm sure I'll get some flak here because of my opinion, but if you think about it, it's true.
IKE, at any rate check em out, give yourself some room to go up and remember there will be another one listed.
GOOD LUCK! They are real nice rifles indeed!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Pop Dawson said:
I shoot with 2 guys that have the 24" models in .44 mag. Neither would take a grand for them, I tried.
I have 3 of the 24" models and I would NOT take even $1500 for one.

Love 'em way too much.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Pop Dawson said:
Yesterday I broke the carrier on my 20" model on stage one. I was asked to sell it before I got it back to the cart to get my 24 for the reshoot.
When I bought my 24 inch 44 (and 357,) I thought cutting the 44 to 20 inches would be ideal. I got a DEAL on a 44 CB cut to 20 inches and tuned by WOG in Boise. I like the 24 inch better. The factory 20 inch 357 is OK, but the 24 inch is better. Maybe I ought to take the two shorter rifles and go strolling around a cowboy shoot, but on the other hand "they don't eat."

1 - 20 of 21 Posts