Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So a few months I bought one of these rifles and I posted my initial inspection and thoughts here: http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/cowboy-rifles/144448-1895-cba.html

I was having trouble finding the time to get out and shoot it. My wife decided to work today and you know what they say, "while the cat's away the mice will play". :)

I took the rifle up to Dry Canyon along with Hornady Leverevolution ammo that I thought I'd shoot up the box of. Of course I had no formal targets to shoot but I did have the Burger King bag from the food I just ate (you know you can't shoot on an empty stomach) and I thought there might be some other potential target fodder up there. I found a clay pigeon and some shot up soda cans while walking out 50 paces to place my bag and I set them up as well.

I loaded 5 rounds in the magazine, cycled one into the chamber, struck my pose and pulled the trigger; Click. I ejected the round and looked at it; no mark on the primer. I was ready to try a second round when I remembered the hammer block safety--duh! So I out the first round back in the magazine and went thru the motions again with the one added step. Struck my pose, pushed in the safety, acquired my target, inhale, slow exhale, pulled the trigger and BAM! I saw the soda can fly just about the same time my shoulder said, hey what the hell!

So I decided I must have had poor placement and I shifted the stock around a little until I was sure it was in the right spot. My shoulder said that it wasn't sure about this and noted how loud that shot was. I told it to man up and struck the pose again and shot at the clay pigeon. BAM! The clay pigeon disappears and my shoulder says hello there, not as bad this time, but damn! And my knuckles chime in saying that something isn't right because they have never gotten skinned up a little shooting any of my other Marlins. I looked over the lever and while not rounded, there are no sharp edges either so I tell them to man up.

I sent another round downrange and this one was a flyer. Didn't even come close to the can so I had a little chat with my hand and shoulder and told them we could just keep doing this or they could let me get in one more good shot and we'd go. I struck the pose again and sent the 325 grains of metal (and plastic) down the range at a can and there it went flying! Yea!

I think part of my problem was the straight grip stock. Never been a big fan so I am not really use to them. Also this gun has a hard plastic buttplate.

I think what I am going to do is borrow the pistol grip stock and lever I put on my 1895M and put them on this rifle and take it shooting again. Hopefully it won't take another 2-3 months to get back out there.

Yikes, I just realized I'll need a checkered forearm if I decide to leave the pistol grip stock on. I think I might have one though. I'll have to look around the stash areas.

Oh, the Good the Bad and the Ugly?

THE GOOD: The rifle functioned perfectly and the sights were right on out of the box.

THE BAD: It's pretty darn hard on the shoulder

THE UGLY: I think that I'll see that tomorrow when I look at my shoulder in the morning :)

Thanks for reading the post. Once I get the rifle reconfigured, Ill post up some pictures of it.

-Bob George

·
Registered
89 Posts
Very nice. It was 2 weeks after I bought my Guide gun that I saw these for sale at Cabelas.....doh! In any event my new Marlington is very good too, shoots hard and straight. The Hornady leverevolution ammo is plenty 'mean' on my shoulder.....far more recoil than the 405 gr ammo I shot after. I actually stopped using the hornady ammo and will reserve it for some little piggies when next they wander foolishly into my domain.

·
Registered
258 Posts
That Cowboy adds new meaning to your screen name " bruiser".

Did you ever switch over to the pistol grip stock ? I have been looking for a pistol grip for mine, so far only checkered versions. I have a Henry 44 Mag with the straight stock and as long as I keep my pinky outside of the loop I don't mind shooting it, I think the extra oomph of the 45-70 might make that a little more uncomfortable though. My lever edges are crisp, I don't want to file them as I want a big loop and pistol grip stock.

I have enough new toys for this hunting season. The 44 Mag is shooting good as is the 444. Both are ready for the Ohio deer season. My Henry 30-30 is a dream to shoot for the NY gun season, I just have to travel a few miles to the next county. I am in a Shotgun only County. Then I have the 51 35 Rem and of course the Red headed step child a 55 35 Rem. Luckily I drew 2 extra doe tags so I think they will all get a chance to perform. Post some pics of the Cowboy when you get finished.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the parts all ready to go. I haven't changed them because a buddy wants to try it like it is now. I am going to bring the lever and stock with me to trade out after he fires off a few. I can change out the trigger plate later, if I decide I like it that way :) We just haven't got together yet :(

I also have a 1894 cowboy that I have just changed over to a pistol grip that I will be taking out with me on the same trip.

-Bob

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I wear bike gloves with the open fingers and it works for the scrapped fingers and knuckles and I went with the semi-pistol grips, good recoil pad and padded cheek section on the butt pad. All good. When hunting often continue to wear the bike gloves as they help protect my hands while out and the fingers are completely ready.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Bruiser, I used to get a sore shoulder from my 336W, which has a hard plastic butt cover (it's not even a pad, so I won't call it that :)).

There's a thread here somewhere at MO where it's been established that anyone who thinks a .30-30 has a kick to it is a wimp, so I had to go back out and learn to shoot the thing better. I paid more attention to getting the butt buried in the socket between my shoulder and my collarbone, and pull it in there snug. I also make to have a good cheek weld.

Strangely enough, my Henry 30-30, with a straight grip, but a rubber butt pad, has almost no recoil.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well I just read your story, I too bought a marlin 45-70 cb. I also went out to shoot it to and quest what I did the same thing you did. Safety on. My shot consistently to the right but I need to move the sight down and to the left. The gun I got was used at cabelas, great shape looks new,I was just glad I found one.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Mine is the same way. After I got it I had some factory Federal 300 grain JHP's, those and the 325 FTX bullets I reloaded the brass with were hard on the shoulder but even less friendly to the knuckles of my shooting hand. Right after I bought it I found some Oregon Trail cast 350's and once I got past 1500 fps. or so things were getting unpleasant again. For shooting more than a few loads from the bench, I put on a thin leather work glove and a Pachmayr leather pad that has a velcro loop to hold it on. I did find a magazine tube swivel stud that wiil be better for a heavy recoiling rifle than the factory fore arm stud mounting position. I recently scored a couple bags of Remington 405 JSP's and want to load them to 1600 or so, final velocity will depend on best accuracy and recoil tolerance. I plan on getting a solid ( no ugly vents on the side) Pachmayr pad in black or dark red to permanently install and getting a larger lever from Beartooth Mercantile and maybe wrapping the lever in rawhide. I don't want to mess up the beautiful looks of the CBA, but have to do something to get this ultralight 1895 more comfortable to shoot.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
just got the same gun at the local gun shop used. I havent shot yet but i traded a 94ae 44 wrangler and 200 bucks for it. To be honest I didnt like that winchester it failed to eject when i had a scope on it. I hope this gun fits the bill as my walk around woods rifle. I went ahead and got the winchester 300 grain bc They seem a little tamer than the leverlution stuff and plus I have a 300 wsm and 270 i tote when im stand hunting in the fields . I dont care what ballistics are past 100 yards with my woods rifle. Ill take it shooting tom and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I sent a letter to Marlin asking how many of these were made a few months ago and I have not heard a thing from them yet. Maybe I should try calling them :)

-Bob George

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I have been staring at these rifles myself..... very tempting with that octagon barrel. Very tempting indeed. Also when in Canada it would be a legal rifle where as my 16" B71 tent gun would not.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts