Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me to understand exactly what I just bought. Being a Cowboy I am guessing this is a limited edition gun done only for Cabela's. Also does anybody know how many were made ? I tried buying mine from the Wheeling WV store but they did not have one so while on the phone he checked and found a couple in other stores and also said they had a couple in the main warehouse in Nebraska. Said he would try to get one from the warehouse but would not know for a few days if he could or not because they were supposedly all allocated to stores and wasn't sure if they had sold their allotment yet.
Well I didn't want to wait if there are so few available so I decided Lincoln Nebraska was the store to call. Luckily they had 1. So now I have an 1895 CB on the way to my FFL dealer here in Western NY. My last question, are these so rare that I should put it in the back corner of the safe and leave it or should I take it out and break it in. I will probably never hunt with it as I have enough Henry's and Marlins to use I don't need to use this gun.
Thanks Dave

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Dave, I'm from Western NY also. Enjoyed your story of the 1895CB from Cabelas. I have one in excellent condition also. I'm not sure I should bang it around in the woods hunting. I'm sure you'll enjoy your new purchase. Happy Trails, Sixmoons.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
Guys I'm sure your guns are beautiful and problem free and this is only one mans opinion.

As Ive said before, theres nothing that would make me happier than to see Remington build quality lever guns!

Unfortunately they are stamped REP and have Remingtons bad reputation behind all their products.

Watching all of the auction sights there is only one Remington model Marlin I ever saw go for big money and that was the 1894 SS .357 mag.

Marlin like Winchester met the end of their era. Those guns have become collectable.

Yes Winchesters and Marlins are still made but the new ones are not collectable.....YET!

Could be 25 or 50 years down the road your 1895 CB will be collectable but I don't think so in my life time anyway.

Maybe in 50 years my Toyota Yaris will be on the Barrett Jackson Auto Auction going for $100,000!

Who knows?

Only time will tell!

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
I don't know what you all paid for those 18" CB that look like the Marlin Limited III but the Limited III's have been had for $8 - $900 depending on condition and are collectable Marlin era guns.

I have seen new in box go for $1350!

I own a pristine Limited III but no box.

It amazes me what folks pay for that hunk of cardboard!:flute:

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
I have been watching the auction sights and I have not seen any Cowboys or Limited's go for under a grand.

I don't think I would put it in the back of the safe, but I don't know about banging it around in the woods either. You need a guide gun for that :)

I'm not sure that they will go up in value or even hold their value. Remington has made a mess of Marlins for the past 3-4 years but they seem to be coming around. I thought long and hard before I bought mine. It's the first Remlin that I have had. I am happy so far with mine but I have not shot it yet. I just need to find time to get away from work, the sixteen German Shepherds and the wife. I'll report back when I pull it off :)

Anyway, I think that since it is a limited production rifle made only for Cabela's it has a chance of holding it's value. I think it depends a lot on what Marlin/Remington produces in the future. If they continue to improve in quality, values will be good but if they go back to producing the crap they put out a few years ago then the value probably won't hold.

That's just my take on it,
-Bob George

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Well, I have a few Marlin Cowboys and I shoot ALL of them! Well...haven't shot the 44-40 yet, but i'm getting there! I'd take it out and shoot it...a LOT! I'd take it everywhere if I like it! I have expensive rifles that get a little banged up with use...hell, I bang them up getting them in and out of the safe! Unless you abuse it, there is no amount of "normal" shooting that should be able to hurt that rifle. Wood can be refinished metal can be reblued.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
mazer I'm with you! If I want to buy something expensive to hang on the wall to look at it sure wont be a Marlin lever gun! Buy some art! Marlins were made to shoot and if you don't give em a workout they get mean and miserable!:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I never buy a gun because I think it will become collectable. It is very rare for one to appreciate in value in a couple decades to beat out other investment opportunities. I buy because I like the gun, and will shoot it for the same reason.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
I never buy a gun because I think it will become collectable. It is very rare for one to appreciate in value in a couple decades to beat out other investment opportunities. I buy because I like the gun, and will shoot it for the same reason.
I feel the same as you. Most if my collection of guns are Marlins. I try to shoot all. If a gun is not accurate I don't want it.

·
Premium Member
6,120 Posts
Hello Dave I too am a NY-er but live at the A$$ hole end of it. Personally I would use it with no limitations just take care of it. After all its not a battleaxe. If I had the collection of rifle you mention anyone of them would work in NYS big game season. So no need to bang it up if that is your concern. But if your hunting on an old logging roads and sitting or standing why not. I guess I have no real answer only a though, When the honeymoon is over you'll spank her on the butt and put her to work.

Good Luck with it.
T:biggrin: NY

·
Registered
845 Posts
Does anybody know how many were made ?
I have a feeling only Cabela's or Remington knows...and they may be producing more as well. They are still being advertised on the website, with a warning that they may not be currently in stock. Big question is how is the fit and finish?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I saw one at my local Cabela's today that didn't pass snuff for $789. The butt stock was loose enough to rattle a bit when handling the rifle, and there was a noticeable gap at the receiver. The barrel was stamped REP with an F, and looks like it was double-struck. Just sloppy. The action wasn't bad.

I was excited to see it behind the counter, but disappointed when I got it in my hands. I think I'm going back tomorrow to pick up an older Marlin from the gun library and will try to take some pictures.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have two of them and have bought/sold three others. They are not rare, just have always commanded a high price compared to other models. There are currently three listed on Gunbroker.com .

Dan

·
Registered
792 Posts
I agree. Not rare and they are still being made, even for us Canucks. The issue is folks keep buying them before I get to it! We have a similar issue with winchester model 70s and more so the 1886. If you see one buy it. I saw one of each in the past two years and bought them both.

Cheers

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had my choice three 1895s today:

A) $789 - 2014 Cabela's 1895 18" CB
B) $1000 - 2009 JM-stamped (91xx ser. no.) 1895 26" CB
C) $500 - 1975 JM 1895 straight stock 22"

I went with the $500 1895. I'd still like one (or two!) with an octagonal barrel, but the fit and finish on both of the newer Marlins did not justify the premium price.

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
congrats,

the gun was made for shootin'

Reactions: fancypants

·
Super Moderator
6,563 Posts
I they have one of the new cowboys (18") at our local Cabelas. I checked it put a few weeks back and I've gotta say, it looked pretty good overall. The action was a bit stiff, but it's a brand new gun too, so i'm not sure how much i can hold that against it.

My only real complaints are that the finish on the recievers of all of the guns I've seen lately have a sort of bead blasted/matte look, and that the barrel was 18". I prefer the look and feel of the longer barrels, but that is subjective, of course.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts