Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one know if gun broker or guns America charge extra for tax than price that is quoted.

·
Super Moderator
25,173 Posts
It has been my experience that you are taxed only if you are buying a firearm from the state you reside in. I have never been taxed when buying online from an out of state LGS.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
The only time you should be taxed on a GB sale is if..........

1) The individual is in the same state you reside and has a retail/reseller license, i.e. a gun shop.

2) The company you purchase from is a national chain and has an actual presence in your state, i.e. Cabela's
If you were to buy something from Cabela's online and there is no store in your state they should not charge the tax.

Private party sales whether in-state or out of state do not require the collection of sales tax.

Reactions: WRM

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank for the replies. I thought it odd that there is such a price difference between some of these on line dealer for new rifles. I have seen new Browning BLR 243 white and gold rifle's advertised from $1495.00 to $1195.00. Quiet a big difference wouldn't you say. I thought there might be some tax difference.

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
I just bought a rifle from gunbroker and no tax but they did charge extra for debit or credit card. If pay by echeck or cash you get a cash discount.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
It's important to realize that Gunbroker and Guns America are merely services through which individuals and dealers can advertise their wares. Both GB and GA charge a fee to the seller for successfully using their site. Dealers are likely to tack on sales tax if selling to an individual in their state. No tax is charged to buyers from other states or from private sellers.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Im highly skeptical and only buy when I can hold the gun in my hands.
I appreciate your opinion, but I've bought 15-20 guns on Gunbroker without being disappointed.

Gunbroker's buyer/seller rating system allows everyone to see the record of people involved in a transaction. I've always been careful to buy from folks who have sold enough guns on Gunbroker to have a well established A+ rating. I also speak on the phone with sellers I'm thinking about buying from, and I require a 'satisfaction guaranteed' arrangement. The only gun I rejected was returned to the seller with a full return of my money, including FFL fee and shipping both ways; the gun had rust the seller wasn't aware of.

Gunbroker's success depends on maintaining a high reputation for buyer and seller integrity. After My due diligence process of telephoning the seller, I'm perfectly comfortable buying this way.

I have some beautiful Marlins that I never would have found locally. While the amount I paid might have been higher with shipping and the FFL fee, I have no regrets.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I appreciate your opinion, but I've bought 15-20 guns on Gunbroker without being disappointed.

Gunbroker's buyer/seller rating system allows everyone to see the record of people involved in a transaction. I've always been careful to buy from folks who have sold enough guns on Gunbroker to have a well established A+ rating. I also speak on the phone with sellers I'm thinking about buying from, and I require a 'satisfaction guaranteed' arrangement. The only gun I rejected was returned to the seller with a full return of my money, including FFL fee and shipping both ways; the gun had rust the seller wasn't aware of.

Gunbroker's success depends on maintaining a high reputation for buyer and seller integrity. After My due diligence process of telephoning the seller, I'm perfectly comfortable buying this way.

I have some beautiful Marlins that I never would have found locally. While the amount I paid might have been higher with shipping and the FFL fee, I have no regrets.
True, and of the few purchases Ive made, its been just fine. I wouldnt dismiss a good deal if it came up on Gunbroker, I just really prefer to be able to hold it and determine if I want to pay for it from that.

But for the money I can spend, its been easier to find a local deal first, it seems Gunbroker is a lot like Ebay in that they are typically better for the seller in getting top dollar for their stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
I've bought a bunch of rifles online, none from GB tho, but several from other online sources and many from individuals, FFLs here are required by the state to collect taxes on any transfers they do, so one way or another I end up paying taxes on em if the dealer/seller didn' collect em.

Tim

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
As noted it`s not Gunbroker who sets the tax rate it`s the state you live in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts