Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just a quick question regarding buying cast bullet molds once the barrel has been slugged to determine exact diameter.

If (for example) a barrel measured .452 when slugged, should I buy an oversized mold (say .454) and then run it through a sizing die to obtain the final .452 dimension or do I just order a .452 mold and skip the sizing?

I hear that some molds can throw bullets that are larger than the actual stated mold size due to the way the mold is handled when casting, so perhaps a sizing die is a good idea anyway.

Thanks for the help,

Marley

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would buy a mold that is .002 larger then slug size and size down to what you want if needed. IMHO. About .001-.002 over bore is generally considered about right for cast bullets.
If you buy a mold the exact same size and it throws undersized bullets your screwed.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
In my experience, most molds cast over their speced diameter. This is a good thing, since undersize is a much more difficult problem than oversize.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Drive a soft bullet into the barrel throat. Size to fit that or lightly over. Dont worry about the remainder of the barrel. Ben

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Go oversized, the .454 would be fine, and if using softer lead the bullet will orbitrate faster and if using good lube it should keep from leading.
I make and shoot paper patched bullets in several rifles and in my 45-70's I have shot bullets that measurd .467" with the paper patch bullets, and they shoot very good out of my Sharps. :)
I did some more shooting for my 1895CB my maximum overall diameter was .461" with the paper patch bullets and the bullets cycled with no problem.
I have also found that I can leave my maximum OAL more than the recomended OAL of 2.550" and I'm sure this is due to the shape of the ogive. I do not have my reloading book here but believe my OAL was 2,574"

When casting expieriment, casting bullets is a great past time and life time learning expierience. ;)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Good evening
Lyman Molds are figured in diameter when using thier #2 mix. A softer mix (like WW) will cast smaller. Pure lead or 1-30 will cast even smaller.
Linetype will cast "fatter".
Then there are the variances that come with any production product. New Sharp tooling will cut larger diameter molds. Older duller tooling smaller diameter. So even with a NEW mold you really never know until the lead is hot and running.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Like Missionary5155 said, the alloy has much to do with the final diameter. Casting with straight WW will not always produce your diameter. I have added silver solder to my mix and increased diameter some. Tin helps to fill the mold.

Papalote

·
Premium Member
2,018 Posts
Papalot what mix of silver solder do you use? Never used silver solder.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts