Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im playing with the idea of buying a colt socom m4.
Personally i like colts i saw a rock river with the reg hand guard flat top no back up sights. The colt has a magtech back up A2 front, kights armaments rails.
I decided i want a highend AR, i dont have time for a build.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I sold all my AR15's I had a Daniel Defense and a Colt like you are considering.
I don't have the faith in the 223/5.56 varmint round any longer.
I had enough ammo so I bought a Tavor instead. I still dislike the varmint round
but my Tavor is shorter than an M4 SBR.
So it's very compact and accurate.
AR15's are pretty cheap right now as it's slow season for the gun stores.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,361 Posts
Colt. 'Nuf said. Trust me. I've been around Colt and the industry off and on since '86. Colt has been through the learning curves since Gene Stoner, the trials and tribulations of Viet Nam, and on.... I would settle for an FN AR platform though. Do they even make an AR for civvies? Or is it their new stuff that looks 'Keltekian'? Definitely - COLT! AC

·
Banned
8,177 Posts
I have had my Colt for over three years .Which says allot.I woulda sold it by now if I didn't like it.Good rifle.You can never go wrong with a Colt.Armalite is good too!Had one of them for years too. image.jpg image.jpg

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
You could check into a Sig to very nice lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think if someone wanted the AR platform it would be hard to go wrong
with Colt. There certainly are some other brands out there that are
really good as well. But Colt has done their homework.

I've seen the Sig and it's piston driven so the front end is very heavy.

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
I'm a little partial to Colts too!
Colt w-laser.jpg

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Ar 9mm.jpg Top one is a factory marked 9mm, pre ban Colt AR. If I avoid PMC, Russian, etc. and shoot white box Winchester, Federal or Remington it is an energizer bunny. Never liked the gas thing of the AR, the ammo is much less expensive, system is simple and reliable blow back. The Colt mags are also loaded on a wood bench by just popping them in as they rest on the bench, turn the mag upside down and it just sucks them up as you press down. No thumbs required. 9mm HP Federal is the serious load for them, although I really think they are more toys than tools in the real world. Should note some of the Federal 123 +p run at 1,200 fps out of the 7.5 inch AR. Strange to me out the longer Colt they run about 100fps slower. Anyone who thinks well of a 4 inch 357 mag. may not have much to complain about with a 9mm 30 plus rounds and steady sight platform with the recoil of a 22lr. Have run some carbine courses with both along with handguns and it is confidence building. However if I need something long here my choice is more likely a 12 gauge or the Marlin 45-70. All the mags came with the AR and they are all Colt. The lower one is the 'pistol" I came across later made by Rock River early version. Also trouble free. I have the original Colt fore end, stock, grip and charging handle. So my vote is YES a Colt AR - same street, different address. FUN to run.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I would love one of those in 357 magnum!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have looked at the sigs and rra's but i want a mil spec and as said colt is colt and im a big believer in you get what you pay for. That 9mms sweet looking i wouldnt pass that up. I plan to put a timney trigger in it and get a aimpoint comp m4. I should have enough in like 2 months.
I wanna buy the trigger kit before i buy the rifle.

·
Registered
395 Posts
In todays world there are a ton of great companys making AR's, from many famous 1911 builders to true ar only companys
unless its stating how accurate it will be, buying an off the shelf ar, can be hit or miss
sold hundreds of ar's
shot even more of them, and seen some be tack drivers and some be like a scatter gun
i own several of all makes
i have a few colts, some shoot very small groups, some don't
have a H bar that sucks on accuracy too, but still cycles ammo well
just not all that accure, for what it is
so name brand and model alone , without a written letter to state how accurate it will be, its a pick of the litter deal

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have looked at the sigs and rra's but i want a mil spec and as said colt is colt and im a big believer in you get what you pay for. That 9mms sweet looking i wouldnt pass that up. I plan to put a timney trigger in it and get a aimpoint comp m4. I should have enough in like 2 months.
I wanna buy the trigger kit before i buy the rifle.

This is the best trigger for AR platform rifles right now,there is none better. Super Semi-Automatic (SSA®) Trigger

I
love my Colt 6920 and have spent a few bucks to have it the way I like it,it's a great rifle.

004-8.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts