Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been thinking about getting a full size 1911. This would be my first center fire hand gun. I would like to buy a fairly standard stainless 1911 with adjustable sites. I would also like for it to be made in the United States.

I’ve looked a few 1911 at the local gun store. So far the Kimber Stainless II (part of the custom series) seems to my best bet. It’s fairly affordable (for a 1911), it’s stainless, and Kimber has a good reputation. The gun store also has a Smith and Wesson 1911 (out of my price range) and a few Springfields. One of the Springfields is a little less than the Kimber but I can’t figure out where the Springfield was made. Anyone know where Springfield makes their 1911s?

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
drice --

Springfield builds 'em here, but IIRC, the frames come from brazil....

Hope this helps.

Shum8

·
Registered
719 Posts
1911's......

i have put ALOT of rounds thru my RIA 45, no complaints...hard to beat for $300!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. I heard the same rumor that the frames for Springfield’s 1911s come from some place in South America. As for the RIA suggestion, I’m assuming RIA is an acronym for Rock Island Armory. I did a quick internet search and found a few reviews. The articles also mentioned the importer but after looking on their website it doesn’t look like they import them anymore. At this point I’m still leaning towards the Kimber but I will consider the Springfield since they at least slap it together here.

I’ve got a few 1911 and 45 ACP related question while I’m posting. For reloading plinking and target ammo does anyone have a recommendation on bullet and powder? Also, what aftermarket manufacture makes reliable 7 round 1911 magazines?

Thanks!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Of the guns you mentioned get the Kimber. It meets all your requirements and will shoot great for years. Springfield does indeed get most if not all their frames from a foundry in Brazil. I think some of the top end guns are done here in the USA. Anyway the Kimber is a great choice. Not that anything is wrong with Springfield but it doesn't meet your USA requirement. imber or S&W do that very well. Good shooting.

·
Premium Member
12,062 Posts
I've been carrying a 1911 of one sort or another nearly every day now for a lot of years.

Mostly it's an early Kimber. Bought the first one I saw back when they came out in the mid 1990's. I've lost track of the rounds that have been through it, but I'd guestimate at least 20,000. It's been a good gun.

Accurate, reliable and easy to shoot. I put a set of Heinie night sights on it because Kimber didn't sell them with night sights at that point.

Last year I treated myself to a new Dan Wesson 1911. It's more accurate than the Kimber by a fair margin. Very tightly built. It doesn't feed quite as smoothly - but it's a great looking gun that is more accurate than any other 1911 I've messed with over the past 25+ years. With the possible exception of a couple of essentially hand-built match guns.

The Kimber is good. Might want to take a gander at the Dan Wesson as well.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I'm a lousy handgun shot, and am not an expert at 1911's. I have owned 4 1911s, two off-brands made in the Phillipines (decent for the money) a Springfield Officers that I got in a trade, and turned loose of before I got to know it well, and a Kimber CDP Pro II (two tone, night sights). I like the Kimber by far the best, altough it jammed religiously the first box or two, as promised by the range where I bought it. After a few boxes and cleanings, it has settled down and seems to be very reliable. The night sights to me make lots of sense, as trouble seems more likely after sundown than at high noon. After I got over the sticker shock of the Kimber, I have never regretted buying it. The Springfield Officers was stainless, with nice teak looking grips, and in all fairness, was a smooth pistol, I just don't like the Officers size as much with .45 loads (wimp). The Commander size Kimber gives an extra round or two as well. I don't think the Springfield was US made. (Most folks don't like to advertise that their red white and blue 1911 is imported). Just my thoughts, remember they're not worth what you paid me for them! :lol:

·
Registered
879 Posts

I have 2 kimbers and love both the shoot way better than I can and have never jammed. I shot about 5 to 6 boxes of round ball ammo through both before trying anything else and both shoot whatever I put in them great. I traded guns for years and owned a bunch of 45's but never found any that I liked until my son bought a kimber a few years ago well I went out with him to shoot it for the first time and all the way out I told him that I had never shot a 45 that shot good. When we started shooting the kimber it grouped good and I fell in love with it so the next day I went and bought my kimber it shot as good as his. Then a year or so later I came across another at a good price so now I have 2. These 2 arent for sell or trade they are just wating on me to find another at a good deal so they will have company of #3.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Drice, I've owned a lot of 1911's in my lifetime, and really love 'em. If you handload especially, they'll do just about anything that needs to be done...especially when it comes to that most important job of protecting your family. Springfield makes a good 1911, but the frames are produced for them in Brazil. They're good frames, but not American. I've finally settled on Les Baer as my preferred provider. He has limited production, builds a superior 1911, and is definitly American. If I knew on my first 1911 what I know now, I could have saved time and money by just getting a Les Baer to begin with. My love affair with the 1911 goes back to Viet Nam....the new (then) M16's didn't work too well....my 1911 always did, and was a constant companion. It always did what needed doing, never failed me, and didn't ask for too much attention....a good friend. Best of luck in your selection process.

·
Premium Member
12,062 Posts
Baerman - I've had a number of .45 1911's over the years. Some good, some not so good. I've sometimes wondered if perhaps I should have just sold all my pistols and bought one really good .45, like a Wilson or a Les Baer pistol. I like all my handguns - but sometimes the thought of just one, really good pistol sounds good.

Semper Fi, Guy

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hey M700,
I know what you mean. There are a lot of pretty good .45's out there. Unfortunately, we tend to keep collecting the "almost what we wanted" weapons, when we could probably be happier by biting the bullet and getting that one, exact model that we had in mind. If you're a .45 kinda guy, and I believe that you are, then I know that you'd be very, very happy with a single great .45 handgun. Actually can save money in the long run, and let you learn the personality of a single piece. You mentioned Baers and Wilsons....to that you could probably add Ed Brown and Night Hawk.....and of course, a whole raft of custom builders.
Take good care.......

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
I have had 4 1911's and the Smith and Kimber were the best. If you get a full size (5") I would recommend getting a full length guide rod. Also, the Kimber came with a POS (7 round, if you can believe that) magazine. Do not be surprised if you have feeding problems. I got some Wilson Combat and the premium Kimber mags and they never failed me (actually, I got 2 GI unissued mags and I was fine at the range). Just put a good amount of rounds through to loosen everything up. My groups really closed in after 1000 rounds (from 4" at 25 yards new to under 1.5", all off hand).

p.s. if you need a good IWB holster, i still have mine... i have moved onto XDs so I do not need it anymore.

Phil

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have been shooting the 1911 since I was first issued one in the army. Over the years I have owned many Colts, mostly gold cups. Now I own a Kimber SS Target and a Rartor II for my full size 1911s and a Kimber Ultra Carry for my conealable weapon.

I wish I still had my Colt Series 70 Gold Cup, but hind sight is 20/20.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts
We were talking about this at the range the other day, and it was mentioned that the RIA frames are made in the Philippines. Nothing wrong with them, Armscor has been making guns for a LONG time, but thought you might want to know.

Also, the Springfield guns are assembled in Geneseo, Illinois. The fact is, very few gunmakers make ALL their parts. It's a lot cheaper to buy them from a supplier that's been making them for years than it is to set up shop to do it yourself.

PJ

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Just out of curiousity, any recommendations for a new GI type 1911? Yall done got me to thinkin' ;D

·
Registered
580 Posts
44-40 Willy said:
Just out of curiousity, any recommendations for a new GI type 1911? Yall done got me to thinkin' ;D
I'm seriously considering a Springfield Mil-Spec. It's almost he GI but it's got a little better sights and a flared ejection port.

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
I have only Colts since the early 50's and carried same all these years with different ones,my latest is the Jeff Cooper designed Gunsite that is Supreme of all auto's,before that a Government converted by Bob Chow and hard cromed and I have a as issued from the NRA/.I have fired others and the Kimber is nice but a Colt is a Colt is a Colt.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
44-40 Willy said:
I have a Rock Island Armory Mil-Spec .. love it.. works flawless was under 330 dollars NIB.. I also like Springfield's Mil Spec ones.. they are about 100 more here..

I think someone here got one of the Tauraus 1911's and they love it..
It's all in what you want from it.. and what your preferences are??

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
What do you want this for, plinking/competition/accuracy, or carry/defense? If you want strict accuracy, then you want a 1911 with tight build clearances. The most affordable guns that will get you started here are those from Dan Wesson and Kimber.

If you want a 1911 for carry, then you want the thing to be be supremely reliable. Usually this is accomplished by going back to the specifications that John Browning specified in the original design that modern manufacturers have been shrinking to improve accuracy: loose build clearances. Seriously, the pistol should rattle a little when you shake it. This is best implemented by Rock Island Armory and Colt guns. Colt has been doing some amazing things for reliability in the last decade or so. Sure, you give up some accuracy, but in stressful self defense type situations you won't be able to count on a pistol for shots much over 20 yards, anyhow, no matter how intrinsically accurate the gun is. The "loose" RIAs and Colts are more than accurate enough for that distance.

I think I've found a pretty sweet happy medium in my Dan Wesson bobtail (in attached photo). The tolerances are really tight and it is among the most accurate 1911s I've shot, but the thing is dead reliable so far, no FTF or jams since brand new. So solid, reliable 1911s that are very tight and accurate do exist, but you might just have to spend a little extra.

In any case, don't forget to keep your 1911, whatever the make, well oiled. They tend to run better that way. Focus on the slide rails.

·
Premium Member
1,978 Posts
That was me, GunJunkie. My Taurus stainless is more accurate than I am and has failed to fire only once in 5-600 rounds - I failed to properly seat a primer. I'm sold on it.

zw

1 - 20 of 20 Posts