Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ha, ya, so after buying a few 100 count boxes, I now have a thousand rifle and pistol primers and after a couple hundred boxes of .45 acp bullet boxes at .26 ea. from Midway, I just ordered 500 bullets from Everglades. .16 ea. Couldnt afford the 1000 count right now, but that will keep me shooting. I think I have around 500 .45 cases to work with and I`m sure I`ll pick up more.

I`m still ok ordering the 100 count boxes of Hornady Interlocks for the 30-30. I bought 200 on the last order. Now that I have my 2-30-30`s with scopes pretty well sighted in, (still working on the peep sight on the 336A) I wont be shooting them so much. Still have a few hundred more rifle cases to work with.
Material property Magenta Auto part

·
Administrator
30,804 Posts
Cool, I wish I could stop hitting the panic button when my stock dips below 10,000 primers, forget how much powder. LOL

But I do shoot a lot and bullets aren't a problem since I produce my own.

Jack

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
When I buy primers, I'll buy 3 or 4 thousand at a time. When I get down to a couple of thousand, I get nervous. I buy a lot of small pistol primers in both regular and magnum, large pistol primers also in regular and magnum. Rifle primers are usually large regular primers, as I have no loads that use magnum primers. Same with small rifle primers.

Bullets are bought at 500 a time for jacketed, and 1500/2000 a time for lead wadcutters. I use a lot of the wadcutters. If I had the money and the room, I would buy just about a truck load of the small pistol primers, and another truckload of wadcutters, just in the event of another shortage of some type. One of them gallon jugs of W-W 231 would probably be enough to load it all at 3.1 grains a round. I could spend a fortune on reloading supplies, if I had a fortune to spend.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats serious loading supplies you guys do. The shortage that happened was before I got into the shooting sport. What was it that caused that shortage? I know a local guy that said he bought a pallet of primers once and was selling them to all the local gun shops in town. He does alot of loading too, and went through them all.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
The shortage was caused by panic buying due to political situations. As these situations changes, so does the availability of ammo and supplies. Too many people like to hoard during what they consider extreme times. A Democrat is elected to office, somewhere, and they get nervous and start buying............

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The shortage was caused by panic buying due to political situations. As these situations changes, so does the availability of ammo and supplies. Too many people like to hoard during what they consider extreme times. A Democrat is elected to office, somewhere, and they get nervous and start buying............
Ah, ok. So they were still making the stuff, but people were buying all they could. Was that the same issue with the .22 ammo a few years back that no one seemed to have?

·
Super Moderator
12,712 Posts
It is always best to buy in bulk when possible whether it is powder, primers or bullets. I have so many primers and bottles of powder I'm running out of room but still buy whenever I can. And don't even get me started about jacketed bullets or the tons of lead and all the molds I have. In fact my LGS has all their reloading stuff on clearance for half price so I might go tomorrow and pick up a couple more 8 pound jugs of powder. Marlinitis is nothing compared to stockpiling reloading stuff.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is always best to buy in bulk when possible whether it is powder, primers or bullets. I have so many primers and bottles of powder I'm running out of room but still buy whenever I can. And don't even get me started about jacketed bullets or the tons of lead and all the molds I have. In fact my LGS has all their reloading stuff on clearance for half price so I might go tomorrow and pick up a couple more 8 pound jugs of powder. Marlinitis is nothing compared to stockpiling reloading stuff.
Ya, I would say you have loadingitis bad, very bad. As far as I know, theres no support group for that ;)
I dont have to worry too much as I just cant afford it.

·
Banned
8,174 Posts
I get primers from a guy I met at the gun show.$25/1000,all sizes Winchester primers.I get both my Hornady match and my Sierra matchking bullets online in 500 rd bulk packs.Saves $5-$10 off each 100.
I buy 8lb jugs of Varget powder online.$189 +$28 hazmat.Shipping over $99 is free.($219.99)That is still $5-$10 per lb less that local for Varget,if you can find it.Everything else I can get locally for under $30 lb.
I shop online and get sales.That is why the shelves in my reloading room are more packed than the reloading section at Academy.

·
Registered
21,234 Posts
amustangrocks, let us know how those Everglades bullets shoot! Been lookin' at their products and like the no shipping!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
amustangrocks, let us know how those Everglades bullets shoot! Been lookin' at their products and like the no shipping!
I read all the reviews, and think all of the people have alot more experience than me, and some did some pretty big testing on them and were very happy. I was looking to buy somewhere else but the free shipping did it for me. They will just end up in the dirt hill behind the targets. Making it more affordable means more shooting=more fun. With the auto, they dont last very long :)

·
Administrator
30,804 Posts
During the Obama reign of terror, reloading supplies were scarce as was loaded ammunition. Around my neck of the woods, I went nearly two years without seeing a single brick of primers or canister of powder. To say it was bad would be a gross understatement.

I never stopped my usual shooting but was getting quite concerned on my dwindling stock of reloading supplies and factory ammunition. When drought finally broke, I made it a point to bump up normal on hand stock of reloading stock and continue to pad it some.

With Trump, we can breathe for now. We have readily available reloading supplies and factory ammo. But that is subject to change.

As shooters, none of us know what might cause another shortage, nor do we know what political winds may cause a reliance on what we have stockpiled for who knows how long. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it on hand.

Jack

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Ah, ok. So they were still making the stuff, but people were buying all they could. Was that the same issue with the .22 ammo a few years back that no one seemed to have?
In that particular situation, I just think the ammo makers were too busy making other ammo to worry about the .22 stuff. I could be wrong on that, but that's my theory.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
"With Trump, we can breathe for now. We have readily available reloading supplies and factory ammo. But that is subject to change.

"As shooters, none of us know what might cause another shortage, nor do we know what political winds may cause a reliance on what we have stockpiled for who knows how long. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it on hand."

--JackTW

BINGO! Agreed, some of us remember the Clinton era primer scare. Buy powder in 8 lbs. containers, primers by the case (5000), and more than an ample supply of bullets. And always look out for bargains, close outs, etc.

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
well I keep a good stock of primers and powders now they are available. I usually wait until the gun shows to buy my primers as I can get them for about 30 bucks /1000 so I buy 3 or 4 boxes. Just to keep up my supply. Powder, I buy that in bulk anytime I have the cash. I have a cupboard full of various powders. as you go down this path of reloading you will want to increase your inventory so supplies is not the limiting factor, time to reload is my biggest hurdle, with 2 businesses, a farm, a house, 2 kids, dog and wife. and any other distraction that comes my way like shooting, hunting and fishing. lucky I can get anything done I guess so not complaining as I am blessed with all I have.

·
Super Moderator
14,159 Posts
I have bought and used their plated pistol bullets and some rifle brass and it is all good stuff shipped out fast. I also know of others that use them without complaints so you might want to give them a try.

·
Premium Member
12,573 Posts
Yes! Laying in a good supply of the "staples" of my handloading & shooting kept me shooting through the shortage. It also helps me to be always able to produce my favorite handloads. Rather than being at the mercy of whatever is available at any given time.

I tend to keep a good supply of components for my most used cartridges, and yes, having a good supply of primers is vital!

·
Super Moderator
11,169 Posts
Yes--it was the same for AR's and AR parts back when Obunghole got into office. Good thing I did not panic because I know a few guys that paid high prices for Colt Parts and when the market fell they were stuck because they could not even break even on selling the parts at cost. I saw bolt carriers going for 300 bucks ! And 55 dollar stripped uppers going for 175 bucks at it's peak. In fact---so many people ran out and bought AR's that it is really hard to sell any kind of AR's at the gun shows now because a lot of people already got their AR. Obama was the best AR marketing one could ever hope for.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I buy primers in 1000 count bricks when it is on sale locally. Saves on the extra hazmat fees. I buy a new brick as soon as I have opened one so that I always have at least 1000 of each kind on hand.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.