Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you imagine,send in $7.95 down payment and Marlin actually gave you the gun right away.

Plus you could pick the payment plan to fit your budget.

Then to top it off Marlin threw in insurance if you became disabled or died they paid it off for you.

My oh my...times sure have changed. :(

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
The way America was, It was great!

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
I remember as a teen pulling up to a gas pump filling my tank then going inside and getting a coke and just saying put on Dads tab, When I got paid for bagging groceries and stocking shelves at the local supermarket the first thing I did was pay that tab. Now you cant get gas without paying b4 pumping and a coke cost more than 4 gallons of gas did back then. And yes a Marlin 39A was about $100.00, I must be getting old.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
And did you see the the price of the new Marlin 336? $76.95 and your choice of 30-30, 32 Special or 35 Remington. That was a very cool page from the past!

Doc

·
Registered
569 Posts
Wouldn't that be nice.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
It is all relative.You have to remember back then 3 bux an hour wages was big money.Now if your lucky 3 bux will get you a small coffee & donut at the Convenience store.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I'll take 5!

Reactions: 35REMSHOOTER

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is all relative.You have to remember back then 3 bux an hour wages was big money.Now if your lucky 3 bux will get you a small coffee & donut at the Convenience store.
Wasn't so much the cost back then as the terms of the sale that I thought was so cool.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I'm more interested in the picture...

Perch belly on an RC...Date is 1957...

When did they change to the slim forend?

I have an RC with an S prefix low serial that I believe to be mid-late 1958 with the slim forend...

Hmmm...

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I'm more interested in the picture...

Perch belly on an RC...Date is 1957...

When did they change to the slim forend?

I have an RC with an S prefix low serial that I believe to be mid-late 1958 with the slim forend...

Hmmm...
You dont like the slim forend? I was thinking of slimming mine down...

Doc

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
You dont like the slim forend? I was thinking of slimming mine down...

Doc
Exactly the opposite...

I prefer the slim forend...

I am simply wondering why/when the changes were made from the perch-belly to thin and back again (more than once?)...

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
In todays refinance program HARP you can get a nice lower % for you home.

Add up a list of guns you want to buy, borrow that amount and you can deduct the interest on your taxes.

I had often thought of doing this and know several that have. My wish list includes having a custom 1894CB in .22 Hornet.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Oh, to be able to turn back the clock! :top:

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I recall buying Cousin a Mountie in '58 on the boss' wholesale account. Cost was $48.??. That would have made retail about $64.95.

After Cousin, spouse, and two grandchildren died in a plane crash, a few years ago, his daughter gifted me the rifle. We got a slow start on grandchildren, but the Mountie goes to ours pretty soon.

Along about that time, gasoline was never much over $0.25, but I was making $1.00 an hour (plus grazing rights) working at a grocery store while in college. With today's prices, I'm still much better off financially than I was then. I retired eighteen years ago, but my retirement is many times better than then, even factoring for inflation.

Lots of things were better then. We were young and in love, a person's word was usually as good as gold, and we were never known to look our doors. I'm not sure we even had a key? I tried to keep twenty dollars in my pocket to cover emergencies. These days I carry no less than three hundred and two credit cards, just in case.

Things may get better, they may get worse, but they will get different!

·
Registered
244 Posts
How about walking into a bank and getting a real silver dollar for a paper "George". Dimes, quaters and halfs were all 90% silver too. Pennies were real copper where today's one cent coin is copper plated zinc. I figure that one silver dollar we had back then is worth at least a Hamilton today. Old paper George is worth about 1/20th of what it used to be worth in the '60's and you wonder why the buck doesn't buy what it used to be able purchase? The Lord turned water into wine and the gov't turned dollars into pesos.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts