Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the photo below look like an original 1893 buttplate configuration? I have never seen one quite like this so far, but I'm mighty wet behind the ears here. I'm thinking this is probably a restocked rifle. Could that be possible?

Thanks for everyone's help and patience here.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a bunch guys. I just learned yet another useful fact. What era does this plate date to? I looked down in some of the information forums and threads and didn't find anything. I've now see three different plates this one, a true crescent with a heal cap - like a Hawken muzzleloader, and a sort of S-shaped steel plate that looks to be stamped. I like the crescent best but I'm not really putting much weight on the buttplate style given all the other considerations.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike,
It's not my rifle. At least not yet. I'm thinking about it. Thinking hard. I have 4-6 that look like good candidates. But none are perfect. I'm hard to please - at least in my price range.

Brent

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are the ones I know of from surfing the auction sights. I have listed them in what I think is approximate chronological order, beginning with the first.

#2 this is what I call the "S" plate - dealers call it a crescent buttplate in some cases.

#3 But then there is this. Is it even original?

#4 The "modern" crescent?

#5 I know there are some shotgun buttplates but what else is out there? this thing looks either very badly refinished or simply aftermarket.

I don't claim to know any of this. I am just trying to figure this out with a lot of help from all of you.

Brent

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That Brophy book is on my Christmas list. Not cheap, but then what worthwhile stuff is?

I think I've narrowed my hunt down to either a post WWII rifle or a much older takedown rifle.

Of course neither may come my way in the end. But at least I have a couple to stalk at the moment.

Brent

1 - 5 of 5 Posts