Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the photo below look like an original 1893 buttplate configuration? I have never seen one quite like this so far, but I'm mighty wet behind the ears here. I'm thinking this is probably a restocked rifle. Could that be possible?

Thanks for everyone's help and patience here.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Looks original to me; that's a late type rifle butt plate. What is the serial number of your gun? You should be able to confirm its originality by removing the stock. The stock should have the serial number stamped into the tang inletting, and the upper tang should also bear the serial number.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a bunch guys. I just learned yet another useful fact. What era does this plate date to? I looked down in some of the information forums and threads and didn't find anything. I've now see three different plates this one, a true crescent with a heal cap - like a Hawken muzzleloader, and a sort of S-shaped steel plate that looks to be stamped. I like the crescent best but I'm not really putting much weight on the buttplate style given all the other considerations.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Three down, two to go - carbine butt plate and the shotgun butt plate (hard rubber). Serial number should give you an idea of the time frame.
I don't know which came first, the "S" plate or your stamped crescent. Someone more knowledgeable will let you know, I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I have some old catalogs and the S type are in the 1913, new crescent plate first shows up in the 1922
Clark

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I have some old catalogs and the S type are in the 1913, new crescent plate first shows up in the 1922
Clark
CJ, I suspected this was the case, but I wasn't positive. Would be interesting to find out how BrentD's rifle is marked.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike,
It's not my rifle. At least not yet. I'm thinking about it. Thinking hard. I have 4-6 that look like good candidates. But none are perfect. I'm hard to please - at least in my price range.

Brent

·
Registered
320 Posts
The crescent buttplate pictured superseded the first crescent type steel buttplate with the
heel cap.The S type seemed to show up latter in the early 1900's.I have a Model 94 thought to
be made around 1910 and it has the S type.But when it comes to Marlin's there are later Model 1893's&93's
that will show up with the earlier type buttplates,If it was found lying around Marlin used it.The later carbine
Model 93's toward the end of their production seem to show up with the S type as well.Some of the last
Model 93 Sporting Carbines will also show up with the S type buttplate

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have had 2 late 1893's with "D" prefix serial numbers that have had this style crescent buttplate-1 was a 32 HPS takedown and the other was a 30-30 solid frame.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The D prefix on the Model 1893's are thought to be made around 1920 or maybe even a little later
into the new Corporation era.You can't really go by the catalogs either as Marlin sometimes used
earlier pictures in latter adds. I have seen a couple of Model 93's with the second type crescent
buttplate and the numbers all matched.But most of the 93's will have the S type.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are the ones I know of from surfing the auction sights. I have listed them in what I think is approximate chronological order, beginning with the first.

#2 this is what I call the "S" plate - dealers call it a crescent buttplate in some cases.

#3 But then there is this. Is it even original?

#4 The "modern" crescent?

#5 I know there are some shotgun buttplates but what else is out there? this thing looks either very badly refinished or simply aftermarket.

I don't claim to know any of this. I am just trying to figure this out with a lot of help from all of you.

Brent

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Brent,
Your #3 is a standard carbine plate, #5 hard rubber shotgun plate could be had on rifles or carbines at no extra cost. There was a rare Swiss buttplate that could be ordered on the 1893 also. There were different styles of the shotgun plate for 1893-93s, I have seen early a few early 1893s with the Ballard & 1881 steel shotun plates on them. If you have a copy of Brophys book on pg. 660-666 he shows buttplates of all models.

Clark

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That Brophy book is on my Christmas list. Not cheap, but then what worthwhile stuff is?

I think I've narrowed my hunt down to either a post WWII rifle or a much older takedown rifle.

Of course neither may come my way in the end. But at least I have a couple to stalk at the moment.

Brent

1 - 15 of 15 Posts