Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I have no idea why anyone would want to do this; as I don't see how anything is gained in terms of strength given that the bolt is not integrated with the gun frame itself. If I was concerned about stock fit and strength; I'd glass bed my stock for a precision fit, keep my tang screw good and tight, and shoot the gun without further worry. And if you ever did have a stock to break; I'm sure you can come up with a replacement at less expense that this custom alteration would cost.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I'm with Ratchethead on this. If you are having trouble with accuracy because of the two piece stock, glass it. 1000# of pressure has to be way too much and will in of itself likely damage the stock. My motto (after many attempts to "fine tune" stuff) has evolved to this: If it is not broke, don't fix it! Best wishes, Jack

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
007, I got to agree with Ratchethead and Jack, a throughbolt seem to be an answer is search of a question. What size groups are you getting as of now?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My grouping's can be extremely good. I've had 3 shots in one ragged hole at 50 yards, I've had 3 shots in 1" at 100 yards. I am not an expert shooter and this is w/ skinner's peep sights(this is not a regular thing). I know this rifle and me on occasion, can be very accurate. The problem is, is that I can sight in the rifle, go home, clean it, let it sit for a few weeks, and go shooting again and the elevation and windage seem to be off. This is not due to 'clean bore' syndrome, i know it shoots 'loose' the first 6 shots or so and then tightens up nicely. Its the point of impact changes both in elevation and windage sometimes up to 5", more so the elevation than anything else. I am going to do some work to the forestock. The nose cap does not align well with the wood and the screws want to go in at an angle and bind. I am thinking this can be part of the problem. But am not sure. The sights are all tight on the rifle. I know the gun can shoot very well-I just need it to do that ALL THE TIME and at the same point of aim. I was both surprised and sorry to see that when i took the rifle after i had sighted it in and hunted with it for several weeks-back to the range-at 50 yards it shot 6"+ low. Thankfully i didn't see a deer b/c i would have most likely gut shot the poor thing instead of the low lung/heart shots that i like to take. I want to build up confidence in both my ability and my rifle and chasing the POI is driving me crazy!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts