Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the 30-30 round is considerably tame as far as kick is concerned compared to other larger calibers but at my age, and arthritis, I am little by little padding my shooting shoulder as much as possible. Does anyone have any recommendations for a slip on or screw on butt pad for the early 1970's 336 stock that looks ok and would cut down a bit on the kick? Thanks...

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
I have Limbsaver pads on all my 336 Marlins, from 30-30 to 444. I can appreciate the need as, in my case, it's not the recoil so much as the bruises brought on by the blood thinners my cardiologist has me on. There are other brands, I settled on Limbsaver and find they cut the felt recoil very well.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Lot of options, but I would either get managed recoil ammo for the 30-30 or an 1894 Marlin in .357

One other option would be to reload for lighter wgt bullets, and squib loads for plinking.

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
I had a 1in Pachmyer put on my 336/.35...... it's makes recoil tolerable for my skinny arse ;D

·
Registered
728 Posts
I bought a red Marlin-type recoil pad from Kingstrider (on these forums). It's not a thick, cushy pad, rather it's just a tad thicker than the hard rubber (plastic?) pad that comes on a 336, but it's rubber and has plenty of give to it. It helps alot with the stout 170gr loads I run through mine.

Be sure of your measurements before ordering one. Kingstrider had three for sale and only the red one was large enough to fit my Marlin with room to trim and shape, which was fine, because that was the one I wanted.

I'm looking for a nice, white spacer I can shape and put between the stock and pad. I could use the one that came off with the original Marlin plate, but those two are matched and I'm ready to wait until I find another.....or a substitute that'll look nice.

·
Registered
9,455 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,942 Posts
StretchNM said:
I bought a red Marlin-type recoil pad from Kingstrider (on these forums). It's not a thick, cushy pad, rather it's just a tad thicker than the hard rubber (plastic?) pad that comes on a 336, but it's rubber and has plenty of give to it. It helps alot with the stout 170gr loads I run through mine.

Be sure of your measurements before ordering one. Kingstrider had three for sale and only the red one was large enough to fit my Marlin with room to trim and shape, which was fine, because that was the one I wanted.

I'm looking for a nice, white spacer I can shape and put between the stock and pad. I could use the one that came off with the original Marlin plate, but those two are matched and I'm ready to wait until I find another.....or a substitute that'll look nice.
Stretch,
Did you refinish that stock??......If so, you did a great job!........That's a nice lookin' piece of wood, an the finish doesn't look factory to me.....

Tom

·
Banned
610 Posts
For bench or pratice shooting, I always recommend a PAST or similar recoil pad to be worn by the shooter.

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
mogwai said:
For bench or pratice shooting, I always recommend a PAST or similar recoil pad to be worn by the shooter.
+1 with the Past recoil pad. i use the Past magnum rifle pad when practicing & after 50-60 rounds fired no noticable brusing or flinching. don't shoot anymore without it.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Tomray said:
Stretch,
Did you refinish that stock??......If so, you did a great job!........That's a nice lookin' piece of wood, an the finish doesn't look factory to me.....

Tom
You beat me to the question Tom ... that is a beautiful buttstock and one of the nicest ones I have ever seen on this website. I love the red tint in the color. If StretchNM did a refinish on that Marlin, please go to the "Head of the Class" and post a picture of the whole rifle :D.

Back on topic ...
swany said:
Lot of options, but I would either get managed recoil ammo for the 30-30 or an 1894 Marlin in .357

One other option would be to reload for lighter wgt bullets, and squib loads for plinking.
Great suggestions!

bjm

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
I have Limbsaver pads on all my 336 Marlins, from 30-30 to 444. I can appreciate the need as, in my case, it's not the recoil so much as the bruises brought on by the blood thinners my cardiologist has me on. There are other brands, I settled on Limbsaver and find they cut the felt recoil very well.
Yep. That's me. I use a slip-on Limbsaver on mine. Personally, I like having it not only because it cuts down on the bruising, but because I'm a long tall guy and that extra little bit of length seems to make it fit me better.

Being a slip-on, it also means that it is easy to slip off. Nothing permanent.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Thank you very much for the compliments, fellows. I bought that rifle off of GunBroker a few weeks back, and I could tell the beauty in the stock was "hidden". It had some nicks and gouges and the finish on it was probably the original 1974 factory finish.

This is how it came to me

·
Registered
728 Posts
The buttstock was gouged up some, but the forearm took most of the beating:

And the (heel plate?) finish was chipped like this

For that heel plate, I just sanded it through the grits up to about 1500 and left it that way. It's not a glossy shine, but a dull satin sheen and it looks very nice. I need to make and post some more pictures of the whole rifle. THe forearm came out very nice, too.

I stripped it, sanded it, and applied several coats of Watco danish oil. I used a grey nylon pad to rub all the finish off the surface after each coat dried. On the last two coats (I think there were 5 or 6 or 7 coats), I applied the oil with 1500 grit wet/dry and, after each dried, buffed it down with a white nylon pad. For the final coat, I applied a thinned coat of fresh-mixed shellac, and buffed that down with 0000 wool when it dried, Then I just waxed it. There is no stain or other coloring applied, nor in the oil or shellac.

The white spacer I just buffed well with a white nylon pad, and it made it look like new. I took the brass screw out and buffed it on the buffing wheel charged wtih white rouge. I'll post some pictures tomorrow I hope.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Utopia,
My apologies - I am sorry. I did not intend to take your thread off-track. I wanted to post some pictures for the fellows to see and I wasn;t thinking. Not until after I posted did I realize what I did.

If there is a moderator who can take these elsewhere in a new thread, that would be good. Or maybe I should just delete these and start a new thread. Moderator just please let me know what's best.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts