Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If your a Western Movie fan and a lever action man and can, watch a new movie 'The Ballard of Buster Scruggs'. I did and really liked it. Its a series of shorts set on the old West. Apart from Scruggs, who features only in the first story there is plenty for the western fan. A lot to like, including a pretty cool scene where a wagon master takes on a bunch of attackers alone, and with a lever action I take to be a .44 Henry (Loaded into the top of the magazine tube) . Anyway, I really enjoyed it, its not what I expected, but in a good way.

I watched on Netflix but there may be other ways.

·
Registered
29,552 Posts
Great! I never heard of this movie!

Something new to search for. Thanks.

ca'jun56

Reactions: MidBigWest

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Might give it another try. Couldn't do 10mins first time.
Now see I went through it from start to finish glued to the screen. Having said that, there are few things divided by taste and preference more than a move. None will appeal to all, except the obvious exception of course.. 'Some Like It Hot', which no red blooded male, or female could help but love. For any that haven't seen it, as your reading this I assume your alive and your chance to enjoy it before passing on has been much raised.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I watched it and liked it. The first three stories were good but the last one was kind of meh.

Moving this to the movie and book review area where it belongs...
Well, without giving away any spoilers I found all but one great fun, if sad in places. The travelling entertainer left me a little perplexed. I cant say more, would spoil it for others but it was a little dark for my taste. I dont go for dark in movies if I can avoid them. Quite enough darkness in the world for real to want it in my entertainment...

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Kind of like the TWILIGHT ZONE/NIGHT GALLERY goes western. Some good some not so much.
I plan to watch it again though. I really liked the old version of THE STREETS OF LAREDO in the bounty hunter segment.

·
Registered
417 Posts
It's the way life is, high points, and low points, and plenty of darkness, where everything goes to hell in a hand basket and sometimes you make it through, other times not. I thought it was a great movie, lots of gimmick gun fight tricks, some pretty straight forward shooting, and of course plenty of back stabbing. Ya gotta like the entertainer segment. Once the chicken comes on board you can taste how this is gonna end.
The big hoot for me is they filmed the wagon train segment not far from where I used to live. Hunted mulies and antelope not far from the buffalo wallow injun fight. It was like going home again seeing the same old hills and sweep of range. Shortly after it came out on Netflix I dropped my subscription, too much Kalifornia mentality programming, not enough like this movie. But that's my tastes. "Buster" is a must see movie, my buddies still living on the high plains thought it was great too!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's the way life is, high points, and low points, and plenty of darkness, where everything goes to hell in a hand basket and sometimes you make it through, other times not.
Where is that from?

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
Is this where the inspiration for El Kabong comes from?
I mean Buster Scruggs was one heck of a banjo player.

·
Registered
29,552 Posts
Great! I never heard of this movie!

Something new to search for. Thanks.

ca'jun56
Found movie on my 'fire-stick' netflix.

It was worth watching! Some parts funny! Some parts sad and dark.

ca'jun56

Reactions: MidBigWest

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
'I too have been known to violate the statutes of man, and not a few of the almighty'. That line made me smile. Not going to say why exactly.......

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
I watched "Buster Scrugs". Some parts are great, others are dark. I found it entertaining and well worth watching though. I followed it up with Hangem High by Clint Eastwood. Did one scene have Marlin Texan in it? I think that I remembered seeing a loading gate and a front site without a ramp.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I believe much of the wagon train scene was shot in the northwestern panhandle of Nebraska, Tranteruk, north of Toadstool park, if my guess is anywhere near correct. There was a big event in Scottsbluff when they were looking for extras for that segment. Made me homesick for sure watching the scenery.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts