Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 338MXLR with a Bushnell XLT 3-9x40 scope and have been thinking about moving that over to my 30-30 or just selling it and getting the Leupold 3-9x40 Rifleman. Does anyone here have a Rifleman scope on there 338ME or 308ME? I guess my biggest concern is will it compensate the bullet drop up to 300yds with the markings in the scope. Thanks for your help & God Bless.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
i dont think that it will with any success...P.S. the Rifleman is actually a relabeled VX-1

·
Registered
320 Posts
I think you would be happier with the Redfield Revolution, it has click adjustments instead of friction and is available with a balistic compensating retical of sorts.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just saw the Redfield and I think I will really be considering it for my 30-30. Great optics.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have both the Redfield 4-12X40 accu-range reticle on a 30-06 and the Leupold Rifleman 3-9X40 wide duplex (not long range duplex) on the 338ME. I really like both of them. I don't make enough money to go beatin up a VXIII hunting:=)). I do wish I would've got the LR reticle with the rifleman though. I had a Nikon Pro Staff on the 338ME but it bounced all over, couldn't shoot a 6" group at 100 yards. I put my sons Leupold on it and viola... 1.5"(no droop by the way 92xxxxx ser no). So, I took back the Nikon and bought the Leupold. For the money, the Leupold pulls the light in pretty good at dawn and so does the Redfield. At 300 yards the 30-06 150 grn spire point 2600 mv with the accu-range at 12 power is on target dot below the circle at 300 and its 1.5" high at 100. I may be wrong, but i'd think the 338 trajectory may be a little flatter than the ammo I am shooting with the 30-06. I need to do an actual comparison though. Think you'll like either one and both are made in the USA! Think you might be able to get the accu-range or whatever long range reticle to work by working with your scope power settings. Its either Leupold or Redfield web sight has a good video how to do it. As you zoom in on an image your LR reticle dots narrow on your target so you can change point of impact with zoom. A little work, and you can get almost any LR reticle to work once you know your range and zoom that works for your trajectory. Hope I explained that right:=)

·
Super Moderator
12,517 Posts
I've had three Rifleman scopes and they are are good glass for the money. I'm down to just a 4-12x40 now but would also have a look at the new Redfields or maybe a Nikon Monarch. Lots of choices out there.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Not to blow smoke at anyone here but there is only one company that still makes its own glass and its in Germany not the US. All other companies use glass ground in either Japan or China. The Chinese glass is useless imvho while the Japanese glass goes from ok to the very best you can buy, and you do get what you pay for imvho.

BTW I'm not knocking the lower priced scopes as I use them myself, Bushnell mostly. But when someone tells you that something is made in the US, it may be put together here, and done extremely well, yet it is not 100% a USA product.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The reason glass is a lot of times made overseas is because of the quality of the raw materials... sand. Leupold makes all the internal components for their scope, Redfield too. Only reason the glass is not always US is geographical. Go to the BSA website, they explain this.

Besides, think I'd rather support our own companies and keep profits in the US. Ever hear of the TRADE DEFICIT??? Why wouldn't any good American consider US made products long before considering anything foreign OWNED. Especially a company like Leupold that has such a fantastic reputation taking care of their customers. Guess many people won't get it until it's too late... that time is closer than many people think.

Sorry if I tweaked any noses, but this more important now than ever before!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Surely didn't tweek my nose. When I was younger and could afford to do so wouldn't buy anything other than Leupold. Thought nothing of paying more for the glass than the gun. My, how time and funds change things. Never the less, it seems nothing we buy is 100% US made anymore.

As for the BSA explanation on quality of sand as their reasoning I'm much more apt to believe that the cost of labor is a much more salient reason but to each his own.

Bottom line; I too support American brand names when at all possible. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts