Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks
I just ordered a Bushnell Bear Grylls. I wanted something simple with out reading how it works every year before hunting season. You see, I have a Garmin E Trax 10 and use it once a year when hunting season comes around but darn if I cant remember how the darn thing works after a year. To many menu's and screens. I admit it. I'm old school on many gadgets. I still have an analog slider cell phone. It drives my daughters nuts. Any how, has any one used one of these and what do you think. It has good reviews on Amazon and looks to be a simple get you back to camp kind of GPS. Oh BTW. I still carry a map and compass and ribbon marking type to use if I down a buck or Elk.

30-30 Man

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
I always have a compass in the pack. Just a couple days ago, I marked my waypoint where my truck was parked. I used my gps to get me back to it. It had me 1.1 miles off. That's the 2nd gps that's failed me in the field. Fortunately, I didn't really need it this time because the road was easy to find but just following it's directions had me walking through a lot of unnecessary deadfall.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had a backtrack 5 by Bushnell
Sometimes it points you in the wrong direction
There are a couple of reviews and a couple of YouTube reviews that discuss this issue

I had the original backtrack and it worked fine and I gave it to a nephew (after making sure it worked properly)
I bought the point 5 and ended up tossing it out, I couldn't risk selling it or giving it to someone and having them get lost

I don't know why the point 5 is different than the original, but just thoroughly test yours out before you head out
You may want to look at a garmin Foretrex 301 or 401 for a simple gps

·
Registered
97 Posts
I always have a compass in the pack. Just a couple days ago, I marked my waypoint where my truck was parked. I used my gps to get me back to it. It had me 1.1 miles off. That's the 2nd gps that's failed me in the field. Fortunately, I didn't really need it this time because the road was easy to find but just following it's directions had me walking through a lot of unnecessary deadfall.
What make is your gps
I have a rino 520hcx and 60chx both by Garmin
I have had the 60 for 6 or 7 years now and it has always been spot on

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks coyotebc
I appreciate the info and will check out my Grylls before the 2nd season Elk hunt starts on the 8th here in Oregon. It should be shipped here on the 3rd so I will be able to head out to a large park where I live to get familiar with it and see if it will work out for me. One of the You Tube video reviews said to not pay any attention to the pointer arrow but to make sure to see if the yardage is decreasing as you head to your marked point, and if it is you are going in the right direction. I did check out the link you sent me and maybe I shouldn't have impulsed bought this. I'll see.

30-30 Man

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well just a quick update. I got my new Bushnell Bear Grylls GPS in today and set it all up as instructed. Everything went well. Took it up to a park we live by in town with large Pine tress and turned it on. Lock up was fast. I marked my spot under the cover of the Pines and turned it off and headed out another 400 yards then marked another point and turned it off then walked to the end of the Park about another 400 yards, marked the spot and turned it off. I turned it back on. Again, lock up was within seconds. It took me back from my saved way points and right back to my starting point!

The arrow was wondering a little as if it took you to the wrong direction but within a few steps it moved to the right direction. It has to keep level in your hand. The one thing I looked at also was the yardage. If it decreases, your moving in the right direction. The arrow is a little behind to catch up but it corrects fast. Al in all I am pleased with the Bushnell. It is very simple to use and that is just want I wanted. I would make sure you saved a marking way point in the event I got an animal. I would also mark a point at a crossing of a foot bridge over a river or other points as to not try and return from a different direction only to find that theirs the river but no bridge or worse yet, a cliff. This doesn't have a map so remember that, and you only have 5 saved way points but it should be a good unit for most who just want to go on hunt that day and return in the evening. If you go to a different area the next day, just start over.

Regards

30-30 Man

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.