Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Where I live it comes up mid April. Despite it being deemed a poison plant it is picked during its first 6 weeks of growth, cooked, water drained, new water added and cooked more then fried. Cornbread and fried strips of wild Turkey for me, it’s been a spring tradition in my family many generations.

Those lil green berries fill up and turn blue soon, identical to fully ripe blueberries but they are POISONOUS. How much so? Idk, but I’m not willing to try them even though it’s lore that folks do take the odd berry for arthritis. If there’s a chance children can find and pick them I cut any the plants down-why risk that?

The berries do make a bright pinkish purple stain, my hot pink poke berry hickory selfbow used to catch all the gal’s eyes.

I never have but I know of neighbors here that will take that young 6 week old stalks and batter them and fry

I recall once blood trailing a deer and there was a big patch of poke along the way and when my cousin got near it the berries after a freeze had busted and dropped pink all over the ground, he was saying idk what the buck did here but there is blood everywhere 😂😂😂

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Around here, mountain mixed hardwoods with thick spice bush undergrowth , open areas or disturbed areas generally have pokeweed, and the deer browse it heavily, good place to set up....if no acorns are around.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
I have that weed growing wild, at my SC place. I may have to try Poke salad sometime.
Andrew
Careful it’s not that “wildwood weed” growing around your place..... ya can take a trip an not even leave the farm!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I have that weed growing wild, at my SC place. I may have to try Poke salad sometime.
Andrew
Pay close attention to those cooking instructions up there. Read up on it one time, and the second boil is imperative to remove the toxins. Suggest you don't over indulge either, the article stated it was believed to be used for medicinal purposes initially, and it can at times have a laxative like effect.

Just pulled a bunch of it up today, several big plants growing under the back of the polebarn.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
You can't pull that stuff up,it has a huge carrot root that gets bigger every year. Round-up!
You can when you got an all terrain forklift rated for 3,000 lbs. It comes out the ground without a bit of trouble!! Just stick the fork in the dirt, root around a few times, and lift, comes right up; don't even break a sweat!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts