Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
110% humidity in Arkansas this morning. But, had time, so off to the range.

My .44mag, and .357, shot the usual not MOA. They both group as well as they can with my eyes trying to shoot with iron sights.

The real surprise was with my 336 my Gramps left me. I had a few Bushnell 1-4’s that I had bought on clearance. I mounted one in some old weaver rings I had as well. Man, that little scope is clear and bright. It tracked well, I am pleasantly surprised. Got it dialed in at 25 yrds, groups were touching. Moved out to 100, and zeroed at 100, they were almost touching as well, bullseye! Had a friend with me, and his bolt action .308 wasn’t grouping that tight.

I haven’t shot the gun in a few decades, and my friend, nor myself could believe how well it was shooting. Just using Remington 170g. The action is as slick as I have ever felt, and even the loading gate isn’t stiff. I can’t wait until fall! Deer beware.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I thought 100% humidity is raining? :) sounds like some fine shooting, I wish I could shoot that good. Its not my guns or scopes, its just me. Old and shaky with poor eyes. Still good enough to take a deer down, and the woods around here would be 50 yrds or less so I shoot 50 and look about the same at 75, so I should be good.
This was with my 71 336 this weekend
Plate Dishware Circle Tableware Platter

This was with my 2013 336 today
Circle

I was living in the Branson area and used to go to Russelville a bunch so I know how it gets there. Hotest Ive ever seen in the summers. Good looking guns in that rack. What power scope did you mount on it?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought 100% humidity is raining? :) sounds like some fine shooting, I wish I could shoot that good. Its not my guns or scopes, its just me. Old and shaky with poor eyes. Still good enough to take a deer down, and the woods around here would be 50 yrds or less so I shoot 50 and look about the same at 75, so I should be good.
This was with my 71 336 this weekend
View attachment 724898
This was with my 2013 336 today
I was living in the Branson area and used to go to Russelville a bunch so I know how it gets there. Hotest Ive ever seen in the summers. Good looking guns in that rack. What power scope did you mount on it?
That’s good shooting there, nothing wrong with that at all. It was as close to raining as it could be without actually raining. Fog was horrible when we got there. As long as I have a scope, I can shoot good on a bench with bags. But I wasn’t bragging on my shooting, just the gun. I was surprised, figured it would have been a few inches at a hundred, and I would have been plenty happy with that. All I need is a minute of deer. I mounted a 1-4 power on it. Bushnell Banner. I am pleased with the glass, actually very pleased for a cheap scope. I will try to remember to get pictures of the targets next time. I know it’s hard to believe.

·
Banned
8,174 Posts
Here in FL,daytime temp stays in the mid 90’s and humid for the months of July August.If I can’t be at the range set up & shooting by 8am on Sat & Sun morning and gone by 9am,I skip it.Too hot the rest of the day.
In FL,mid Sept starts cooling down.I will hit the range almost every day after work come Oct-May.Perfect shooting weather.I may start taking the three summer months off next year to show my self control.
That will also show my girlfriend,who thinks I am obsessed with guns and shooting that she is once again wrong about me!Ha!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice 336 Arky!

It was 200% percent humidity! Rain, Rain, Rain!

Had the Mossberg 472 and the 983 .22 mag. But the rain stopped it altogether.

ca'jun56
How you like that Mossberg? I have never tried one.

Reactions: Boobarzo

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
That’s good shooting there, nothing wrong with that at all. It was as close to raining as it could be without actually raining. Fog was horrible when we got there. As long as I have a scope, I can shoot good on a bench with bags. But I wasn’t bragging on my shooting, just the gun. I was surprised, figured it would have been a few inches at a hundred, and I would have been plenty happy with that. All I need is a minute of deer. I mounted a 1-4 power on it. Bushnell Banner. I am pleased with the glass, actually very pleased for a cheap scope. I will try to remember to get pictures of the targets next time. I know it’s hard to believe.
I was sitting at a bench with a rest. Thats some of my best shooting actually,lol...did ok for a change. I had a Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5 on one of my guns and a Bushnell Sportsman 4x on the other. They were pretty decent. I replaced them with a couple Freedom 2-7x scopes and I am doing better. I almost wish now I would have just went with 9x. I`m still having a hard time with my glasses and the scopes, but getting better. I had the range to myself today too. It got warm but nothing like where you are
Room Tree Building Leisure House
Tree Grass Shooting range Recreation Landscape

·
Registered
21,234 Posts
Here in FL,daytime temp stays in the mid 90’s and humid for the months of July August.If I can’t be at the range set up & shooting by 8am on Sat & Sun morning and gone by 9am,I skip it.Too hot the rest of the day.
In FL,mid Sept starts cooling down.I will hit the range almost every day after work come Oct-May.Perfect shooting weather.I may start taking the three summer months off next year to show my self control.
That will also show my girlfriend,who thinks I am obsessed with guns and shooting that she is once again wrong about me!Ha!
Yep...too hot and high chance of rain for the outdoor range, so hit the indoor range and shot the pistolas!

Reactions: Arky73

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
I have a Bushnell Bannor 1.5-4.5 variable on my 35 Remington. Bought a Vortex to replace it but never got around to doing so as the scope is clear and has held its zero for a few years now. Also been good for 4 deer over 4 years with no real unusual adjustment. Mostly no adjustment.

DEP

·
Registered
243 Posts
Very nice. I can relate with the heat and humidity thing. Columbia, SC is its own special little jungle!

Reactions: Arky73

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Nice group with grandpa’s rifle makes you feel good. Now you have to kill a deer with it and show it’s as good as ever. What year is grandpa’s rifle?
1968. I am the only one to ever fire it. He bought it new, and never even loaded it. When he let me use it to hunt in 85, I shot it a few times to prove to my dad I could handle it. Once I killed a deer, it was put up and hasn’t been touched until he passed this spring. It has had about a box and a half of shells through it total. I am extremely proud of it, and it will go to my son, and then to my grandson.

Reactions: amustangrocks
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.