Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The butt stock sling stud on my 1977 Marlin 336 in .35REM is mounted in what looks like the bullseye spot. The front sling post is on a barrel ring. I have searched a lot of pictures on Gunbroker of 336 .35REM Marlins and I see a lot of rifles with the stock sling stud in that position. Did Marlin put the sling mount and NO BULLSEYE on that model rifles? Or is that ring mount on the barrel an ADD-ON and the previous owner put a stud in the BULLSEYE? As you can see there was never a sling mount stud installed on this Marlin....

Marlin 1977 336 35 Rem Refinish in Sun 01.jpg

GB45

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
There was a couple of years they did not have the bullseye 1977 was not one of them.

Some are really against drilling the bullseye to mount a sling. I say it depends on the wood. If it is a very supreme butt stock I would do just that to preserve the stock.

Not much preserving, but what if you decided you did not want a sling. For yours it's easy enough to remove the front clamp and replace the bullseye.

Using the bullseye does another thing, hard to get it off location with that nice target guiding you.

Yes yours was added afterwards, Marlin did not do that. That is a nice looking Marlin. I like the figuring in the buttstock and the blond highlight in the fore end.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I doubt the "bull`s eye" was ment to be the ......drill here mark. :)

·
Registered
969 Posts
Clearly after market. I do not believe that Marlins' rear stud had the white spacer. Marlins' forward stud was attached to the barrel band. The rear stud was about 2 1/2" forward of the butt toe. Placement is easier if you measure twice and drill a small pilot hole before boring it out. The stock you have is really nice. Oh yeah, drill perpendicular to the contour of the butt stock; not perpendicular to a horizontal rifle.

·
Premium Member
12,154 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
No shame in that 35 set-up, was done to a lot of guns, and Swany's point about preservation is a good one.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Damn WW I know its cold where you are since you have the snowman deco out in August.:biggrin::driver:
Not that cold but nice weather here. Old pic. from inventorying. Just checked and the ones I have out 4 have studs in their bulls eye 4 don't. It must have common in old Marlins to use it for locating.WW

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
I've read that the bullseye has been installed in Marlins walnut stocks since 1922

They do put them in birch stocks also.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So if I understand correctly this TUBE RING MOUNT that I see on so many Marlins was an OEM product? If that is the case it sure was a popular part . . . .

Swany, this rifle, as are almost all my guns, is in pristine condition, no rust anywhere to be seen and very few wear marks. Since I only target shoot and do not use slings I will replace the BULLSEYE, probably leave that front stud for the time being, it is out of the way.

Marlin 1977 336 35 Rem Refinish in Sun 01.jpg Marlin 1977 336 35 Rem Refinish in Sun 02.jpg Marlin 1977 336 35 Rem Refinish in Sun 03.jpg Marlin 1977 336 35 Rem Refinish in Sun 04.jpg

That BLONDE part of the forstock was not visible until I stripped off all the old MARSHIELD. I think that PULPWOOD in the stock gives the rifle even more character . . . and it does not hurt the shooting accuracy AT'ALL!
Marlin 1977 336 35 Rem Refinish 03.jpg

GB45

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
For what it is worth, Marlin recommends you do not use the bullseye trademark for sling studs, and yours was put there after the fact as others have said. If you want to move the stud, you can buy replacement bullseyes online pretty cheap, and think Midway has them for example. Although many have done it without issues, I think the concern is that the bullseye may come lose and pull-out at the worst time, with your rifle ending up on the ground damaged behind you if slung over your shoulder... possible Murphy's Law in play.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts