Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have read all the postings on the Bullpup stocks for the 795/70 rifles and I am ready to pull the pin since the reviews are 50-50 on it - Both with the Marlin and Ruger vertsion. Some of the reviews are from the first batch, and we all know things get better later. It appears some people like them, some think they are junk. Now that it has been out a while I was wondering if anyone has bought one and how they feel about it. I am a tinkerer and am pretty interested since I bought this rifle as a toy. After tinkering with it, what do you think? Thumbs up or thumbs down on the Muzzlelite Bullpup stocks? Thanks in advance.
Oh, and if I do it I will post my results and feelings.
"http://www.bullpupgunstocks.com

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought the muzzlelite bullpup stock for my old Marlin 70. When I first got it I was pretty disappointed. It feels like cheap plastic and the craftsmanship is really crappy (I'm not proud that it's made in America). But after some modifications and textured paint it came out to be pretty cool looking. And feels pretty good too. The middle picture is without modification, the surrounding pictures are what I did to it. judge for yourself. Collage_20130117-010653 (1).jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice pics comingup !
When you say you sprayed it with some "textured paint" what did you use exactly?
Also did you have to tweek any part of the bullpup to get it to fit your Marlin 70 properly?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought the muzzlelite bullpup stock for my old Marlin 70. When I first got it I was pretty disappointed. It feels like cheap plastic and the craftsmanship is really crappy (I'm not proud that it's made in America). But after some modifications and textured paint it came out to be pretty cool looking. And feels pretty good too. The middle picture is without modification, the surrounding pictures are what I did to it. judge for yourself. View attachment 48341
I also saw the videos and read reviews on the Muzzelite kit for the 70 .. now it's reincarnation, the 795, so with great trepidation I figured .. can it really be that bad!? I'm encouraged that you have made some lemonade out of lemons, since I have one on the truck somewhere :) There's some videos on YouTube of a 10/22 going into an AirSoft body, but he took a huge amount of time with a Dremel and so forth to get it in.

At the very least .. there are places to mount practical appliances that would be difficult and look like krap on a stock M70/795. The 70 has a miniscule dovetail for a scope mounting .. hope the "handle/rear sight" is parallel with the bore ehh :) We shall see .. Essayons!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The muzzle lite bullpup kit for my glenfield model 70 was a snap, literally. Although it's a basic hard case, it's a very cool kit. I added a scope and it looks pretty tactical. I'll send a pix later.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The muzzle lite bullpup kit for my glenfield model 70 was a snap, literally. Although it's a basic hard case, it's a very cool kit. I added a scope and it looks pretty tactical. I'll send a pix later.
From another thread .. same subject ...

Well I picked up a Muzzelite bullpup stock a few months ago thinkin' it might be an interesting project. Having read the mediocre (at best) reviews and YouTube videos, I kinda expected a less than satisfactory result .. the Ruger version is not much better. The kits' two halves are kinda hoarked together, both having pieces of plastic actually riveted to them, covering various features apparently to modify from the Ruger version, including a piece of plastic epoxied inside to mate between the rear of a Ruger receiver and the Marlin receiver.

So .. thinking maybe I could at least make lemonade, I put the Marlin receiver/barrel between the body halves, and it's like a wet noodle in there. Clearly it can be seen that the Marlin receiver is obviously off center just laying in the "right" halve. Using two methods of calculating the "clearance", it turns out to be 0.125"-0.130" of side to side slop .. receiver to the inside of the body.

My Marlin 70 receiver measures 1.010" wide sans paint .. I expect this is the stock factory size .. if yours is different, please post. I'm probably not gonna mess with it, but I thought I'd post. Actually, I think it's butt ugly anyway .. compared to the M&P 15-22 on my watch list. I'll probably pick out Boyd's for the 70. So if your're thinking about re-dressing your old marlin for the "black" look .. probably have better results just gutting out an Airsoft, and have a better looking rig .. save some money and have more fun :)

Happy Hunting .. Essayons!

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/rimfires/115552-marlin-70-muzzelite-not.html

G
lad you are happy with your mod .. as you see from my other posting, my results were night and day from yours. AFAIK the Glenfield 70 is the same as a Marlin 70, so I can only assume that the kit that I received has some Major QC discrepancies. I could understand having to enlarge the two surfaces which secure the barrel if this were a 7000 .. but it's not. I'm guessing that the Ruger 10/22 is not tapered that far down towards the muzzle .. the Marlin obviously Is .. and the second area is too small in diameter and would need to be reworked for the case halves to actually fit together.

The huge void between the right side of the receiver and the Muzzelite case is as big as a hangar bay .. have you fired that puppy yet? Just wondering how many cases or rounds fell inside .. there is Zero plastica to mate with the receiver to insure that nothing just drops/falls into the Muzzelite case.

For those of us that grew up watching Hopalong Cassidy and Roy Rogers on black and white TV, it is almost sacrosanct to put a Muzzelite on a Marlin anyway .. but in 2013 just thought it might be an interesting project. I guess the Muzzelite people realized that too, as the combined production quantities for the 60's and 70's Series' of Marlins outweigh the 10/22's by magnitudes.

Happy Hunting .. Essayons!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts