Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have a newly aquired 1894 in 44 Mag and I'm having a problem with feeding using bullets cast from the RCBS 44-250K mould. It seems the overall length is too long to feed properly. The case length is at the minimum, but the overall length is over the specs - 1.72 vs 1.60 with the bullet seated in the crimp groove. Anybody got a solution other than triming all my emptys?? :mad: :mad:

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
44 SPC load in 44 SPC case?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Might try crimping over the shoulder of the bullet. This is a rather common method when loading for some revolvers, notably N frame Smiths, which have a somewhat shorter cylinder than say, a Ruger. Some of the heavier SWC's have two crimp grooves, others you just crimp over the shoulder. Works fine if your neck tension is correct. Maybe that'll shorten up your load enough. You'll probably want to drop your charge somewhat before trying this since you are reducing your case capacity slightly.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Uncle Elmer (Elmer Keith) designed his boolits back before there was a 44 magnum...or leverguns for it. You can crimp on/over the front band, but it doesn't usually do much for accuracy.

First thing is to go to lasc.us and read Glenn Fryxell's article on 1894 MARLINS...read the rest of them too and become even more enlightened. Go over to castboolits.gunloads and do some reading over there too.

Consider that lever guns have historically used a round nose flat point boolit. While a lot of us have had good luck with semi-wadcutters in our rifles, it isn't guaranteed. I used LYMAN 429244 without problems, but the KEITH 429421 was tempermental in several of the ones I've had. 429667, 429640 and the RANCH DOG design are a lot more reliable.

Last thing is go to RANCH DOG's web site and order one of his TLC 432 265 moulds that is designed for 44 lever guns. I shoot a bunch of them and their plain based clone from a NOE mould from over at castboolits.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Welcome Deerhunter!

I had an OAL issue in .357 and just seated a bit deeper. Personally I didn't experience an issue with accuracy.

Jon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts