Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have 2 45/70 26inch barrel CB a 2004 and 2007 models I have not been able to shoot yet.
Bullets available are BTB 350 pile driver lite and 425 pile driver jr powders available R-7 , H322, and H4198
Will want to use on Elk, Deer, and someday if I ever get a Tag Bear. I know the 350 will work just fine on all the Game. But does either perform better in the long CB
Thanks for any suggestions

·
Premium Member
16,809 Posts
Hey Utah

Using Universal Clays and HS 6, my CB seems to "prefer" the 405 to 430 gr bullets.

Others seem to "like" the 350 gr bullet.

This is in the 1150 to 1250 fps "range".

For heavier loads, all of the powders listed should perform. You may have better "success" with the 350 gr bullet, using the 4198.

H 322 performs really well with the 430 gr bullet (in my BIL's and nephew's Guide Guns).

My rifle Mechanic swears by Rx7, in both the 45/70 and the .444. Has the targets to "prove" it. LOL!

Only way to "know", is to do a bit of load development. 50 yd, 100 yd and 200 yd targets, and a bit of chronograph work.

Hope this helps.

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
I'm currently stocked up on BTB 425gr piledriver which i intend on using on deer, pig and bear, should be good to go for you! Just make sure you slug the barrel and get the right diameter bullet for maximum accuracy. I got some of the 405's to test out as well.
Now for something different, I've got some 560gr bullets from Western bullet, haven't tried them yet...not sure they will even work in my CB, but I'll use them in my Sharps if I can't seat them deep enough, anther option would be Leadheads 460gr. And of course if you want it light and faster Carolina cast makes a 350gr bullet!
Beartooth bullets are great, but if you don't want to wait, the other manufacturers i've mentioned usually have the bullets to me within 1-3 weeks. Depends on availability, which is why I keep a big list of bullets and mfg's!
Oh, I'm working on my loads and the speeds are ranging from 1250-1450 using IMR-4198. I currently am working on the low end using 32gr's.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Gentleman
Alittle more back ground. I have used the 350's in my GS at 2000fps with R-7 and H-322 and group very well so I need to slow things down with the CB??

·
Premium Member
16,809 Posts
Hey Utah,

There is no reason to drive a cast bullet past 1600 fps, or so.

"More", is not "better", with cast bullets.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe i have been following Marshall's BTB posts to literally as my 444 I run nearly 2200fps

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Maybe i have been following Marshall's BTB posts to literally as my 444 I run nearly 2200fps
I have read all of Marshall's articles on his bullets and load developing. I, too, was amazed at the fps he was shooting with his gas-checked BTB's. I remember you showed me the one 3 shot target of yours that was nearly a one-holer.

I cannot think of a reason to slow your loads down because it's going to run through your Cowboy. You might need to for better accuracy but that's all.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Ha! Loads are going to do nothing but speed up through that long barrel anyways....just start at a reasonable level and start moving up....your shoulder will probably tell you when you're done long before you reach the upper limit of the load! The cowbly has a small butt plate(notice I said "plate" and not "pad" ) and you will definitely feel it!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok I will start 5% below my best loads in the GS.
The one I have no idea on is the 425 JR I am guessing I would like to be around 1800fps any suggestions withe the powders above.
I hunt close but would hate to pass on 175yd shot due to drop at 1400fps or will the bullet perform the same no matter the velocity?

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Well, with IMR-4198 and with the BTB 425's your talking 39gr's to get 1640ish fps and that is out of a 20"bbl, so in a 26" you should be doing a bit better. According to RCBS 41gr's should get you areound 1703, but that is their recommneded max. Beyond that you are starting to get into the Ruger#1 category. This seems to match both RCBS and Lyman bullet data. Not sure I'd start at 39gr's however, in a standard marlin with a recoil pad? no problem, but the cowboy is a different animal. I'd start around 35gr's and start working your way up .5gr at a time and see how your accuracy is.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, with IMR-4198 and with the BTB 425's your talking 39gr's to get 1640ish fps and that is out of a 20"bbl, so in a 26" you should be doing a bit better. According to RCBS 41gr's should get you areound 1703, but that is their recommneded max. Beyond that you are starting to get into the Ruger#1 category. This seems to match both RCBS and Lyman bullet data. Not sure I'd start at 39gr's however, in a standard marlin with a recoil pad? no problem, but the cowboy is a different animal. I'd start around 35gr's and start working your way up .5gr at a time and see how your accuracy is.

Thank You For H-4198 that is exactley what I am looking for.
Now any thoughts on R-7 or H322
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
That's IMR-4198! I've never used H-4198 although I hear it is very similar. Rx7 is a little slower...I just moved out of my reloading area(hit the bed, sitting here with my laptop) so I'll get you some Rx7 loads tomorrow, these are RCBS and Lyman data, not mine, I'm still working on mine :) but this is where I plan to start. I have Rx7 powder, just haven't used it yet. I suppose I should, maybe I'll try it in my 30-30 or 35Rem. Heck, at this rate you'll be ahead of me! I can't seem to get a day free on the weekend where I can get out and shoot!
But, I suppose you could tell me how these loads shoot for you in your cowboy and I'll have a good idea on how they will work in mine! :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you sir.
If I get out first I will let you know if you beat me to it please do.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
I've had very good success with the Meister .458dia. 405 gr. RNFP bullet in front of 28.4 grs. of H-4198 loaded at 2.55 OAL at 1262 FPS..

I have had two Marlin 1895CB rifles and this load worked very well in both.
djh

1 - 14 of 14 Posts