Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read here somewhere about somebody using dish soap/water to do first pass through sizer and putting on gas check. It worked for about 8 bullets and then one got stuck and I can't seem to get it out. Does anyone have a clever way to pull a bullet that is stuck in the sizer.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
I would use a propane torch with the die in the press heat the sides of the die till hot enough and putting some pressure on the ramrod until it comes out. Or put it in the press and with a small diameter drill drill a hole though the middle then a large drill and then a larger drill until it's pretty much hollowed out, now try pushing it out with the ramrod. Have you tried WD40?

T ??? NY

Reactions: moofy07

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Got stuck? How much were you sizing it down by? I started using the soapy-water lube this past winter with good results for sizing .358" (down from .360") and installing GC's with no problemo. I really like doing it that way, so then I can lube them with whatever I feel like at a later date. The idea for the soap came recommended by someone I trust here at MO, so I wonder what went wrong for you.

Did you have rust or pitting already formed inside the die, from an earlier session? I dry, then lube the die IMMEDIATELY upon completion of a session with soap, to prevent those rust seeds from taking root.

It really wouldn't just push through, huh?

I wonder if you affected the temper in a bad way. ??? Let us know if the die was compromised by the heat, so we can learn from your experience.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
I simply use a long punch and knock em out. Easy

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, Ill start by giving a little more info about this incident. I was using Dawn dish soap(?) and I had about 5 or 6 or somewhere theres about and they seemed to get harder to push through with each bullet. It was about the 7th or 8th bullet that got stuck. I tried puttting some serious muscle behind it, but it wasnt budging. I tried several options of pushing it through dowel and srewdrivers and the like. The bullet started to crumble in the sizer die, but still wouldn't budge.
Then I decided to put the sizer die in the Lee led furnace and melt he bullet out. I turned the furnace on and left the temp dial where it was from the last time I casted. I went into the house and it was over a half an hour before I came back out to check on it. When I did, I noticed that the thermometer was reading well over a thousand degrees! The sizer die had turned to a sort of bronze color. The die took hours to cool down. I also noticed that I had nicked thed inside of the die with what I guess was a scredriver.
I have since sized some more bullets with the die and prelubed with LLA and all seems well so far.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I realize that this is 5 months old and you have solved your problem but I was wondering what kind of press you were using while this happened. I bought a bunch of FMJ 62 gr steelcore SS109 .224 bullets that were machined pulled and deformed (out of round ) and used a Lee sizer die to resize them and didn't have any stick. I use a RCBS Rockchucker.

·
Super Moderator
7,955 Posts
I have sized thousands of bullets and I use NO lube, I do polish my sizer dies throat to a mirror shine and the softest lead I use is a 50/50/WW/Lino mix.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am using a Lee press, but I don't think the press had anything to do with why or how the bullet got stuck. I was trying to use dish soap as a lube to size my bullets in the Lee sizer die. I melted it out, but in the process, the sizer die got too hot. I was worried that I might have damaged the sizer die with the heat. I have since used the die and it hasn't changed kicking out my cast bullets at .432 like before incident. In the meantime, I ordered a new sizer so the old one might get a some bullets pushed through them with some lapping compound. I'll see if I can open it up just a bit and offer me an opportunity to test bullets at, say, .4325 or .433.

Lately, I have been fallowing Ranch Dog's idea of just hitting them with a little WD40 before I size them. Now, I need to get a mini-crock pot to heat the alox into something I can dip the bullets into. The tumble lube system works, I am here to testify to that, and it is easy for beginners to do. After a while, a person just has to refine the system and there have been a lot of great ideas passes around this forum on how to do just that. The Ranch Dog tutorial on alox is a must read.

·
Registered
395 Posts
You can also roll your bullets on the case lube pad. Sizing lube works well for what you are doing.I have also used Imperial case sizing wax.I know its too late but to get a stuck bullet out of the sizer just screw the sizer up until you are almost out of threads and give it a push.The leverage is much improved and allows you to push the bullet a little.Then screw the die down bit by bit until the bullet exits the sizer.I have sized jacketed bullets in Lee sizers this way.Even with lube they take a lot of force to size.

·
Registered
910 Posts
i have annealed lee dies to drill them out larger and i didnt bother to reharden them. i thought as soft as barrels are if a bullet going 2000 fps doesnt wear it out, me pushing one through sure wont wear out the die

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
How do you go about polishing the throat of the sizing dies Starrbow? I've used fine emery cloth attached to a piece of tubing ran by a drill for other things. I don't know if that would get a mirror finish though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I wouldn't want to take a torch to warm up my dies. I would think warming it up would soften the lead and make it stick more to the walls of the sizing die. I would try and punch it out from the top and if that didn't work drill out the bullet and push the lead "sleeve" out and scrap that one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I see we have awakened an old thread. Allow me to change your life:
1. Remove die and thread it back into the press upside down.
2. Drill a hole through the primer pocket.
3. Tap the hole
4. Place a nut over the stuck case. It should be large enough to sit against the die with the bullet inside of the nut
5. Place a washer over the nut and thread a bolt against the washer and into the stuck case. Sometimes you have to stack a couple nuts to give you room to extract the case through them.
6. The bolt will suck the case right out of the die.

Works every time!

Like this:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts