Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I have been stocking up on supplies to be ammunition self sufficient. Meaning I wont have to buy factory ammo with the exception of rimfire ammo. My last obstacle is the 45-70. I have pile of 405gr flat points plain bases for a plinking load with unique. I have another pile of 325gr FTX bullets for deer and other mid size game in a moderate load. I am spinning my wheels with a full power load. I have been bouncing around a 405gr WFGC with a stout (but within spec) charge of H4198. This would be my brown bear, elk, moose load. I have been looking at cast performance's 405gr gas checked bullet and beartooth's bullet. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
343 Posts
For hardcast, I like Beartooth's 425 piledriver. Marshall said that 50 gr H322 is his go to load. I use 50 gr H322 with Winchester primers and brass. At 50 yds I could repeatedly hit a gallon jug as fast as I could lever and pull the trigger. I plan to see what I can do out to 100 yds this spring. This is using iron sights. For scope distances, up to 200 yds or so, I have been using Leverevolutions.

·
Premium Member
12,062 Posts
That 425 gr Piledriver Junior over H322 is indeed a very accurate, powerful, hard-hitting combo. Very impressive. If a guy wanted one cast load for everything big, that would get my vote.

There are some fine jacketed bullets avail too for the heavy stuff. The 350 gr Swift A-Frame comes to mind. Expensive though.

Guy

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked at the a frame. A very nice bullet but very expensive. I can get the Beartooth and cast performance bulles for $50 a 100.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I use the 525 Pile-Driver and find it to be a very well made accurate bullet. I am sure the same quality is found with all the Beartooth bullets.

Domenic

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Why not try J.B. Young for his Crater and Crater Lites. They are in 420gr and 550gr. These are very hard cast (over 22 Brinnel) and are extremely accurate and reasonably priced 420gr
$25-00/50 and 550gr $30-00/50. These were the prices last time I got some.
Hope this helps.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
All my rounds are cast, except 200 Speer 400gr PP. I loaded them with 45gr of reloader 7.

At 1700fps they will plow threw 6 feet of meat. They shroom real big. The Taylor KO scale says 44, with 2544 energy @ 100 yards

The 200 yard gong has become any easy hit, after scoping.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you guys are getting the beartooth 420gr bullets what size are you ordering .458, .459 .460?

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
When I cast I like the larger diameter bullets and .460 is great. When I make PPB's I need to start smaller but they are wrapped larger than .460, usually much larger and then I do a final sizing through a .461 sizer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts