Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My reloading is limited to the 45/70 and 7mm mag. Question is this-- If I pull the bullets on either of these do I need to resize and reprime the case before reloading again. Will the origional bullet stretch the neck to the point where the pressure will be affected to any great degree with the second bullet?
Your advice will be appreciated!

·
Registered
957 Posts
You might have to flare the necks a little if you had much of a crimp on the bullets, but that's all.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Also depends on the bullet. I ran an experiment with the Lee Factory Crimp Die in .338. I was using Sierra 250 grain boattail bullets, which don't have a crimping groove. I wanted to see if the die could crimp a bullet without a groove and I wanted to see if accuracy improved. I loaded up a few rounds in work up mode and since I was sure that I was headed in the right direction, I loaded up a bunch at the max that I had been using. Right direction? :) WRONG! :shock: I wound up using a hammer style bullet puller. I knocked a few all the way apart and then I stopped before the bullet was out. I then ran those rounds through the seater die and happiness returned. The ones that were taken down I found that I could run the boattails back in without trouble. That tail helped lots. If you are using jacketed bullets that have some type of rounding or that slight taper that many jacketed bullets now come with, you may get away without having to bell the mouth.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Whether you resize or not you don't have to reprime. Just remove the decapping pin from your die, and have at it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts