Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a .44 Ruger Black hawk to pair with my still new 94. I plan to use the marlin w/ iron sights as well as the ruger for hogs in the marshes. I wondering if anyone has a favorite load that suits both guns. I've done some reloading for my .35's but nothing else. My dad has the gear and books but I'm going to get some newer reload manuals for myself as his literature is early 80's. Suggestions??
Thanks in advance
cw

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
I shoot the Hornady 265gr JFP bullet, with 20gr 0f 2400, Rem brass, & Rem. large pistol primers. These shoot very well out of my 1894SS, S&W mod 29, & my Super Black Hawk. They group well, however the 2400 tends to be a little dirty, but i`m happy with the results. Start a little lower & work up to what shoots the best for you. 444

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 444,
Thats what I'm planning to do. I've shot my inlaws .41mag but I don't know what his load or grain was and the kick was quite tolerable. I haven't fired the ruger yet and I'm wondering about a larger chunk of lead than my .35 336 can throw leaving the 7.5'' ruger's barrel :shock: My Dad has fired the .454 casul? and he said it ruined his sex drive for two weeks. I know the .44 will not reach those levels of recoil but I still plan to work up slowly. I really don't mind the extra kick in the hand gun as long as the same round in the Marlin dosn't become dissagreeable. My .35's I find uncomfortabe after 15-20 rds, unlike my 45/70 or MAS 36. The .35 seems to be a much sharper recoil and I don't want that in the 94 as I would like it to be my all around rifle.
Yep start small.
Thanks
cw

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
IMO, unless you are shooting at extreme distances, a heavier round fired at a moderate velocity will be lower pressure and lower recoiling and be just as effective on game.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have used factory 240gr SP's with incredible results on the large trophy pigs here, my biggest with 44mag just over 520lbs, and the Marlin barely kicks!
I am going to buy 10 boxes of the new 250gr Gold Dots and try them out for accuracy and "knock the snot out of them" power within the next month......

Frank

·
Registered
285 Posts
The Ruger and the Marlin will both handle the Hornady 265 grain soft point with 23 grains of Win. 296 powder, CCI 350 magnum primer and a heavy roll crimp applied at the top edge of the canelure.

Speer's 240 grain SP bullet atop 24.5 grains of Win. 296, CCI 350 magnum primer and the same roll crimp will provide all the killing power that you will need for deer or bear or hogs.

The .44 magnum cartridge has been building its reputation for many years with a variety of component loads. It simply kills game way beyond what one would expect, and has taken every game animal on the planet during its existence. Jacketed or cast, the .44 magnum will get the job done.

·
Registered
311 Posts
My 1894 and Ruger Redhawk both like the 240gr. JSP factory loads. I hunt mostly with the 1894 which is, IMHO, a great deer/hog gun for Florida.
MUZZLEDUSTER :D

G

·
Thanks Guys,
I fired the ruger today and boy what a fun cannon! Shot he Rem.180 jsp and achived nice groups at 25 yards. I didn't take enough round with me for both( the marlin still need minor adjustments) so a fella gave me some UMC 180g which seemed to group tighter.. later I found out the are the same. The guy at bass pro did his best to build my machismo buy trying to sell me some of those 300g. Federals :shock: I think i'll leave the heavy lead to the 95G and it has a bilt-in recoil pad!! The ruger when held lightly rotated up in my grip which did a nice job of dampining the recoil without loosing accuracy. I wonder how it would handle with combat grips w/ fingerings. There are some beatiful rosewood grips w/ checkering for $80 on the net. The Factory grips seem to point the gun downward when brought up to target but mabe I just need more time on the gun. Thanks again.
cw

G

·
Seaweaver:
First order of business is to put new grips on that Black Hawk!!!
I load H-110 because it feels right and is cleaner than what I used to use. Have heard it’s the same as the Win. 296 Buckskinner speaks of. Only catch: H-110 don’t take to reduced loads. Original grips were nice, until I shot; would draw blood. Factory loads would pivot around trigger finger and drive hammer into the web of thumb. Oversize Herret stocks and recoil isn’t an issue shooting 25.8 grains of H-110 with a 215 grain gas checked bullet (est. 1600 fps) single hand, even for my wife. Hodgdon’s # 21, almost
Have noticed that the manuals tend to drop the maximum pistol loads a bit for rifles. That because there is some free bore in the cylinders in revolvers, and the cylinder gap? Don’t know.

Question???? Been lusting in my heart for a .44 magnum rifle but hearing, from several sources, that they can really kick. How can something that I shoot comfortably in a pistol, single hand, kick in a rifle? What’s up with that? Wanting to try Lee’s 310 grain mold.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Seaweaver,

I was a 'paper puncher' who searched for accuracy in a load compatible with my Ruger Super Blackhawk and my 1894 Marlin. I haven't handloaded for 25 years but here is what I found at that time.

I tried Herco 'Bullseye', 'Unique', and '2400'. 'Bullseye' is very fast burning and worked well in both firearms but because of the light charge weight it seemed to introduce variability unless each charge was weighed carefully. '2400' worked nice in the Marlin but tended to leave residue in the 7-1/2" barrel of the Ruger. 'Unique' seemed to work best as a comprimise. 10 grains of Unique made a nice comfortable load. I think you can go to about 12 grains in the .44 mag.

For accuracy I liked a 215 grain half jacketed SWC bullet. I don't know why it was the most accurate, but it worked for me.

Regarding recoil, it depends on how you use your .44s and how you load for them. If you only fire a few rounds (as in hunting) recoil is minor compared to rifle calibers. Put a full charge behind a heavy bullet. If, however, you plan on running a couple hundred rounds through them at the range you might look for a lighter load. The .44's can 'kick'.

The fun thing about handloading is you can make your .44's meow like pussycats or roar like lions. Have fun.

Jim H

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I shot a sow on Saturday with the Marlin. I made a good shot with the girl on the move through the gap in Palmettows at 100 ft. The 180g passed right through behind the shoulder and a second somewhere in the neck exiting out the spine in explosive fashion. The first shot would have done her in and she started that death circle run that sent her down into the canal with me so I followed up. I could not find the entry on the second shot but the exit was as big as my fist. I know she was head down as she came at me but I and my partner couldn't find the entry point as we were both eager to trace the path of the bullet. It looked like the exit was stright up or more than 90 degrees from the angle I was shooting. I still can't figure it out, but there aint too many things that stop them cold like spinal chord explosion!
After my pal shot a 140lber on the trot we set up a target range and I got better groups from the Ruger than the first time at the range. I think I will go for the new grips and I going to grab some different ammo to see where they shake out in both guns then follow the best trends in my hand loads.

eisenmetzger, I like the idea of half jacketed rounds and to the Guest who posted thanks for the H-110 tip... I NEVER knew revlvers get so dirty!
Thanks
cw
Oh Yea, My Pal shot his hog wth 150g Rem hollow points In the 30/30 I found for his wife for his Christmas gift. I knew I should have given her one of my .35's. I was blasting beer bottles at 115yrds with the iron sights!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Win. 296 is a ball powder. It requires a heavy roll crimp as does Elmer Keiths' 2400. And any other slow burning powder, oh, and a magum primer wouldn't hurt either!

Don't any of you "FNGs" do your home work?

You like to "play" with the big guns, but if you don't know what the hell you are doing, why go here?

·
Registered
308 Posts
This may not be valid anymore because things change been fooling with .44 for 20 plus years lighter bullets didn't used to be a reliable as heavier bullets work fine than one would come apart not get much penetration like I said might be diifferant now a lee carbide factory crimp die will give you the best crimps important with 296 and 110

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bullet load for pistol/rifle

I personaly like unique for my cast bullets, but H110 is definitely cleaner and a good performer for jacketed. The Lee factory crimp with a heavy crimp is a must.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts