Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gents,

If I to order jacketed bullets for an 1894 in .44 cal what size should i choose, .429 or .430? I do not have the gun yet, but I am planning to order some reloading stuff to arrive at the same time when the gun does so I cannot measure the bore diameter yet.

Thanks for help.

Cheers,
Mad

·
Registered
957 Posts
Either will work fine. Jacketed bullets are not nearly as finicky about size as cast.

The 1894 in .44 Mag is a woods hammer, not a target gun. It's not the gun for someone who enjoys working up bragging size groups. It's for folks who will be satisfied with reasonable accuracy and who like to shoot a lot, cheaply. Being able to hit a pie plate offhand is more important than a one hole group from the bench.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
rshn, I use the Hornady 265gr JFP in my 1894SS, S&W Mod. 29, & Super Blackhawk, with 20gr of 2400 powder. They shoot very well & sure knock the hell out of Deer. 444 :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much guys :)

Cheers,
Mad

·
Registered
167 Posts
Actually they are the same actual diameter as the ACTUAL proper jacketed bullet diameter for a 44mag or 44 special (and even the 444Marlin) is 0.4295"

Some manufacturers drop the 0.0005 others "round up"

AllanD

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
The only 44 that you normally have to worry about bullet size is the 44-40 as it will varya lot from manufacturer to manufacturer. I've seen groove diameters on 44-40s from .427 to .431 :!: .

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts