Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Hornaday does not make what seems Iike everyone's favorite bullet anymore. I have narrowed my choices down to 5. Swift in 280 or 300. Beartooth in 290, 300 or 330. I know Hardcast is the cheapest route but I like the idea of expansion with the jacketed bullets. I know i can get more energy out of the hard cast but more than likely this gun will only see whitetail. What would you pick and why?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts

Here the 240 Swift was tested, and out performed all other bullets tested, the 280 grain Swift was not tested. The 240 gr A Frame is going to go thru about anything, not lose much bullet weight, and have excellent initial expansion, foll0wed by deep tapering off penetration. Can't see where the 280 gr Swift could add much, the 240 because of its initial higher velocity at closures ranges could have the advantage actually. The 240 gr also stays with the initial 444 design concept of an "express cartridge", light bullet for cartridge going extra fast (compared to a 44 Mag), intended to provide maximum shock effect on game of appropriate size. The 280 should be a fine choice, but consider the 240, especially since standard (cheaper) 240s can be used for practice. The 240 Swift A frame at 2300 fps as I load it, is one of the most devastating deer loads I've ever witnessed.

·
Premium Member
2,064 Posts
Since Hornaday does not make what seems Iike everyone's favorite bullet anymore. I have narrowed my choices down to 5. Swift in 280 or 300. Beartooth in 290, 300 or 330. I know Hardcast is the cheapest route but I like the idea of expansion with the jacketed bullets. I know i can get more energy out of the hard cast but more than likely this gun will only see whitetail. What would you pick and why?
bphillips,

In these times, components are difficult to find. Orders can take 3 months to fill. However, I believe you may find the best of both worlds from a Cast Mfg I found several years ago and have referred many times, GT Bullets out of Charleston SC.

Take a look at their web page for more info. They have a wide variety of bullet weights and designs. What attracted me initially is the alloy they use. I use it for my casting of high power bullets as well. It is not "Hard" by modern standards. The alloy, 94-3-3 drops at 12 bhn and age hardens to only around 15 bhn. With a gas check you can push the muzzle velocity up and add a hollow point for the expansion you are looking for at a reasonable price. Example, I use this alloy in a 30-06 with a 210gr GC bullet at 2,200 fps without issues, other than recoil.

They have several plain base and one GC design that is on the lighter side you may find interesting for the 444. If nothing else, you get to shoot for less!

Reactions: graymustang

·
Banned
3,321 Posts
for many generations untold numbers of white tail deer have been killed with 170 grain 30-30 slugs moving at about 2000 fps.
your not gonna have any problem killing deer with a 240 grain bullet out of a 444.
if you get into bullet casting it will open all kinds of new doors for great options to shoot out of the 444

·
Registered
294 Posts

i use the 300gr fn gc(saeco) and 2400/dacron going 1624fps on my tc encore. its heck on deer and its easy on the shoulder. in a lever gun, i'd go withe 310gr lee fn gc.

·
Super Moderator
7,950 Posts
A Swift 240gr should be very, very good on any whitetail.

Reactions: graymustang

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
bp,
you don't really need bullet expansion when shooting a whitetail with a 444.
With the availability of reloading supplies today, shoot whatever you can find.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I use Woodleigh bullets in my .444 Marlin. The packet says it all -

View attachment 834763
Hi Prickle - what powder and charge have you settled on with these bullets and any idea of MV your load delivers. When I exhaust the HDY 265 bullets (usually use 53 grains of 2219) I would like to give these a go.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Speaking of jacketed only. The Swift A frames are hard to improve on. They are not cheap but will perform well. The 280 or 300 grain version in a 444 will do the job on anything in North America and for sure on any Whitetail. The 240 grain pill will give you a little flatter trajectory. At this point I would first see what is actually available. I would not use them for practice though.:LOL:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Hi Prickle - what powder and charge have you settled on with these bullets and any idea of MV your load delivers. When I exhaust the HDY 265 bullets (usually use 53 grains of 2219) I would like to give these a go.

Hi Australian. I make a habit of not giving out reloading data for liability reasons.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hawk and Vollmer both make great bullets. I don't know how they are for availability right now. It's starting to look like we may have to shoot what we can get. If you cast your own no problem if you have lead. I'm not getting into that as i'm a hunter shooter, not a shooter hunter. I'm lucky as I probably will not out live my supply.
Have a great day.
Jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts